Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Help needed - fitting uprated front brakes

Nick VVC

Can anybody please clarify how the brake hoses connect when changing from standard to uprated Caterham (AP) front brakes.

As supplied, the parts kit includes the calipers, brake hose and two separate brass double ended (both ends threaded) connectors. These parts don't match the old ones I've removed from the standard brakes.

So, am I right in assuming that:

a) I junk the old hose and connectors at both ends - the caliper and where it connects to the rigid brake pipe through the side of the car body

b) that the new hose connects straight in to the side of the caliper (hole blanked off with plastic grommet)

c) that the other end of the new hose connects directly to the metal conector sticking through the body

d) that the separate new connector is simply a spare?

If this is all correct then I have a problem because having conected up as above, both ends of the new hose leak!

Final question about securing the pads - the new pads seem to be held in by a shim and two brass rods. How are the rods secured? (The ones I removed were held in by split pics) Simply by the pressure of the shim or is there something I've overlooked?

Thanks.

Nick

b)

Nick, ref the pins I've just fitted the APs (no without drama - fitted them on upside down for a start...DOHH!)The pins I have have a split olive on the end simply position the pads and anti rattle shim and tap the pin through, the olive comprsses into the caliper boby and secures the pin.

You didn't mention the brass washers that go between the hose and the calipers my set had them missing which allows the union of the hose to foul on the caliper wall and prevent the fluid flowing into the calipers.

I fitted the hoses by taking the union out the end and fitting to calipers, connect other end of hose to panel union tighten "middle" union onto union in calipers.

Paul M.

Thanks Paul - I'd got the washers but hadn't fathomed out the fitting procedure properly - back to the garage now to try it out.

Glad to see from your other posting that yours are all now fitted OK.

Mark - thanks for the offer of the pics, but hopefully I'm now sorted!

Cheers

Nick