Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Angle Speedo Drive

F355GTS

Mine fell off yesterday at Brands and scraped along the track for a couple of laps!

Car is 1.6SS with 6 Speed Caterham box.

The Angle drive actually unscrewed from the base plate held in by the circlip. I've put it back together but it doesn't look like it is going to work. There is a shaft approx 10mm long protruding from the box but the depth of the angle drive is at least 18mm. The shaft appears to have a rough end....has this sheared? if so is it a gearbox out job to replace it? or maybe there's another short shaft that has fallen out

The cable is fine and remained attached ot the Angle drive

Any ideas/ advice much appreciated

Mark

Mark,

There is a short length of square section steel between the box and the angle drive, I fabricated one from suitable size Piano wire round section filed square (piano wire from local model).

However, re-reading your post, did the whole angle drive detach, or just the cable?

allen

Edited by - allen on 4 May 2002 13:52:45

Allen

thanks for the response

The whole angle drive unscrewed from the backplate. Any idea what diameter the square drive is you mention, the bit that's sticking out of the Gearbox is about 10mm long and 4-5mm diameter it looked round not square with a hole in the centre. The angle drive appears to have a round hole (could be square!) of about the same diameter ie 4-5mm. I am certain that the 10mm bit is not long enough to reach the hole in the centre of the Angle drive

Mark

MARK the caterham 6 speed box on the pasenger side has a round dome shaped plug if you prize this out with a screw driver you can push the spedo drive out this is the part you have sticking out of the drivers side you can then chech it all when you put it all back put some silicone or sealer round the dome part and push in with the shaft of a hammer there is no oil pressure from the gear box on this dome it is only there to stop the drive falling out

fredid=blue> biggrin.gif

Mark, Fred's advice sounds good - I obviously did not read your post properly - I do not know how things are arranged on a 6 speed box, and as such was probably talking complete bollocks...

allen