Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How much oil in gearbox ?

Marius

I´ll have to fill up my SCCR Typ9 tomorrow with some Red Line Oil and wonder how much of the oil it should get ?

The Caterham-manual sais 1.9 litre but that sounds way too much in my eyes. Some guys doing Caterham-racing told me they normally take about 0.9 to 1 litre, otherwise it would all slosh out again + powerloss in transmission.

What do you think ?

Marius

Hmmmm. I filled in 1.9 litres last time and the brandnew box seemed to leak oil on the very high located gaskets. InterRacing told me that this might be caused by the oil level being much too high.

Any other opinions out there ? Oilyhands ? Dave K. ?

Marius

Steve, I was also told the same thing but I found the transmission-tunnel far to narrow to get the plug undone and afterwards back in again. Any tricks on this ?? Maybe all RHD cars have some kind of hole in the tunnel, I haven´t, LHD-car....

Marius

P.S.: Still no oil in.....

Marius/Steve,

Cut approx 3/4" off an appropriate sized (11 mm.) allan key.Should be able to fit to the plug and get a spanner onto it. Once slack ,take the hex out and unscrew the plug.

Fill from above or below,I prefer the former. Make up an extension piece from plastic pipe you can get from B& Q.,and fit to plastic pie on the oil bottle.

Good luck

Alright then, I´ll give it a try. But isn´t that all much more complicated than just pouring in a certain amount of oil ? I simply can´t imagine that no one here knows exactly how much oil he (or she) had poured in until it came out of the plug-hole. Weird...

Marius

I've got a pretty good idea how much I poured on the floor before I got my extension pipe in the filler hole, how much i got in the box , how much ran out when I pulled the filler pipe out and to finish the total off, how much ran out of the filler tube as i lifted it back out of the tunnel.

But as to how much actually went in, I have no idea!

And as to topping up, again, no idea - it might have leaked a lot, a little or none at all!

Let us know when you do it how much you take!

Found that tying it (the car) to the crane at work, dangling it in the air to remove fller plug and ten lowering it a touch to fill it works pretty well!

Bri

I've noticed with Quaife boxes that the breather sits above the gears which at mid/high revs results in leakage.

I addressed this by cutting off the mushroom breather and making my own breather with pipe to atmosphere - Problem solved.

Brian Hill (BGH Geartech) boxes don't have this problem because his breathers are more sensibly placed ! Brian also recommends running the oil level about 3/4 '' below the fill line in any event.