Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

1700cc x-flow (from one of you Zetec/Duratec upgraders)

DaveMorris

Anyone out there planning on a winter upgrade from a 1700 (or 1660/1720/1760 etc) x-flow to a Zetec/Duratec and at a loss of what to do with their old motor ?

I'm looking for a good running engine that won't need stripping/re-buildingin the near future (been there, done that etc).

X-flow(er) power now resting. Trying Vx for a change.

Dave are you looking for a Supersprint motor or can it be a generic crossflow? What ancillaries are you looking for? I may have a source *wink* Have you considered a Zetec or is that not an option?

NE Area Rep

Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer,

We'll keep the red flag flying here

Tyrone,

looking ideally for a S'Sprint motor. I don't really want to start stripping the engine down once I've bought it (to replace the cam, or have the head fettled) if I can help it.

Problem with a Zetec for me is one of cost. I was VERY seriously tempted last night with the 165bhp Zetec on e-bay. All the bits needed for a straight install. Job done.

BUT - I'm probably not going to keep this car for long after I've stripped it, re-powdercoated all the bits, had it sprayed etc and spending 1800+ on the Zetec route will not add anything to its resale value.

I've got all the x-flow bits including exhaust, hoses, alternator etc, (even a spare clutch and pressure plate if needed, though I'd prefer that to come with the engine as a balanced unit). As such, keeping the car a x-flow of pretty standard power makes financial sense.

Having said all that, "making financial sense" has never been a pre-requisite in the past - hence the number of x-flow rebuilds and minor improvement projects. *tongue* It's just that I need to justify things more at present 😔

Dave,

I might have an engine for sale soon. At the moment its in bits at Scholar. Not actually a supersprint from Caterham, but has a dry sump, oil cooler, accralite pistons, converted to unleaded as well. At the moment it also has a couple of cracks in the crankshaft and one of the compression rings has gone.

Anyway, as money needs to be spent, I am now considering a zetec, but if you were interested, it might be possible to get it rebuilt to your needs.

edited to say that I'm getting a full report on the condition at the beginning of the week.

James

Edited by - james xflow on 18 Oct 2007 17:16:01

I have one sat in the garage after my zetec conversion, I will take £600 for a quick sale, should go for about £650 to £750 on ebay when I get round to it.

The engine has covered about 35,000 miles and it is the Caterham 1700cc supersprint version, went very well with a 4-2-1 exhaust system running on a 5w/40 fully synthetic. Usual x/flow oil consumption.

engine number

11J89AX 831C 6015R34

down in sunny Bournemouth.

Helping and encouraging others rather than putting them down.

Dave, my mate Dave has a 1700 Supersprint in his garage but it doesn't have an SS rocker cover, but there might be one in the garage somewhere. If you're interested make an offer when you get back from your hols. *thumbup*

NE Area Rep

Hi phil ,Dave and tyrone ,I dont want to hijack any ones posting, I am on the look out for an AX x/flow engine block.I have Daves mobile no as we exchanged FIA roll bars a while ago ,I could contact him after his hols to take up the remaining choice after Daves choice.Regards Geoff

We've found the supersprint rocker cover but the oil filler has been blanked off for a dry sump install. We've also found a few 711 blocks but no AX's if you're still interested.

NE Area Rep