Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Xflow Wiring Loom questions

Mcalvert

• Leadership Team

H5 URF is nearly down to bare chassis and will soon be back at Arch for some TLC.

Despite my mechanical numptiness, I am fairly confident that I will be able to get the mechanicals back in (maybe with a little help) but it's the electricals that are keeping me awake at night. Since the wiring taken out is pretty ropey in parts, I've ordered a new car loom from Caterham, but not a new engine loom. Can anyone tell me exactly what the engine loom comprises, as I guess I'll need to open up the spaghetti mess that I now have in a large box, and separate the two. The car is a 1700 Xflow on Alpha 3D ignition.

Thanks -

Michael.

Surely its very easy if the car used the Weber Alpha loom as supplied with the ECU ? The Alpha loom is very well made with unique plugs for each component (so you can't get it wrong) and all the wires should be labelled, or at least they are on mine. *thumbup*

Edited by - Graham Perry on 15 Oct 2007 20:27:00

• Leadership Team

Thanks - I don;t think there;ll be any problem getting the Alpha wiring out - as you say that has bespoke connectors and is labeled.

My question is more what comes in the generic "engine" look - I assume that this is the main wires from engine to earth, battery, alternator, coil etc?

Michael.

Michael I'm not sure, on the X/Flow cars, that there is a separate engine loom as such. All that you need ie coil, distributor, alternator, oil pressure, water temp and starter solenoid connections are all part of the main loom I think. Could be wrong but I'm sure all these connections were part of the main loom in my old car.

Obviously you are ok with the Weber-Alpha gubbins and the only reason a K series, for example, has a separate engine loom is to connect to the throttle pot, injectors and all the electronic paraphernalia that comes with a modern engine.

So don't lose any sleep over it, we will sort it out come the time of the rebuild. *cool* *thumbup*

Brent

(aka Arfur Nayo)

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

Edited by - Brent Chiswick on 16 Oct 2007 12:24:42

There isn't a separate engine loom on my xflow; it's all the one thing, and includes ancillaries like lights, indicators, washbottle motor etc in the forward facing part of the loom.

It might be possible to strip it back by labeling the terminating ends and unwrapping the loom. I've seen someone make up a spec loom on a large board with pegs to run the wiring around, and using socketed connectors to run the minor wiring off the main trunk, based on a stripped back original loom (it was an old BMW 2002). Given the lack of electrical gubbins on the average xflow, I suspect that the existing loom is seriously overwired, and that it could be relatively straightforward?

Alex McDonald

A loud 1700 SS