Click here if you are having website access problems ×

FIA bars

se7enmad

Hi guys!

sorry I'm going over stuff that's been repeated over and over again but I don't have the time to go though the mountain of info in the archives :(

As I understand it there are variations on the FIA bar: the normal one, a slightly taller one (2"), and another version with forward hoop(s)

Am I right up to now?

Now, is the normal FIA ok for hillclimbing, or should I look for something else - a bar with forward hoop would probably be safer although it seems it would give at the junction ith he rear end.

What is the possibility of lateral intrusion ie from the drivers side, in the case of a serious roll? Does the fact that the FIA bar does not normally extend forward mean that the windscreen is stronger than it looks - I can imagine it cracking in my face if that were the case.

Lastly, where does one get the FIA with the forward hoop from? Caterham do not seem to supply it - would anyone have any pics of it as I need to see whether it would foul the cloth seats...

Clarifications are welcome!

PS I own a live-axle Vx Classic

Regards,

Antonella

www.antonellasworld.com

i have never heard of an fia bar with a forward hoop... but to answer your questions to the best of my knowledge...

1 - search the archives.. this topic has been well covered...

2 - rules state that if you pull a piece of string from the roll bar to the most solid object at the front of the car, you should have 5cm clearance between the top of your helmet and the line. commonly, this is the radiator, but practically speaking, it would probably be best to think of it as the front of the engine...

3 - if you ever watch caterham racing, some people obviously slouch a lot when the scrutineers are checking it... wink.gif

4 - the screen is very flimsy.

5 - side impact is not really covered by any roll bar... there are two types of optional side intrusion bars, one to protect the drivers compartment, and one to protect you from a wheel from the rear axle pushing into you.

5 - IF YOU REALLY EXPECT TO ROLL... GET A CAGE !!!

Nobody expects to roll.

The FIA bar is a minimum acceptable level of rollover protection. This is my opinion, not that of the rule makers. You are allowed to compete with the standard useless bar, or no bar at all, in hillclimbs in the UK. At your own risk etc. Rolls and big accidents are pretty rare, significant injuries much rarer.

I think a full cage is a sensible option for a serious competition car, especially since there is no weight penalty for the increased protection. Whether they are available off-the-shelf for most specs of Caterham I don't know. I recall Tony Boyd having to go to Safety Devices for a one-off for his (then) crossflow Classic based well travelled job, but cages have been options for live axle Academy cars.

Paul

Hi!

thanks for your replies.

5cm clearance should not be a problem - we have no specific rules for rollbar height here as our classes have not specified rules for open cars as yet - I am tiny enough to fit.

The screen is a worry - is the 5cm clearance enough to clear someone's head off the track in case of a roll? do the screen stanchions snap or does the screen give in towards the driver?

Also - Are aeroscreens legal for racing? If they are does this mean that the absence of frontal "protection" still allow the FIA bar should keep the driver reasonably protected in case of a roll?

So the standard bar is acceptable in the UK?!? That's why i have not yet seen any pictures of hillclimb sevens in a full cage then ...

You are right in mentioning that rolls and accidents are relatively rare but then you are lucky to have proper roads for hillcliming.

a cage increaeses the chassis stiffness as well.

also think of this. if you roll with a bar the windscreen will bend. it will bend towards you. at the same time you're head will be moving towards the edge of the screen. doesn't bare thinking about.

dave - fia bar, low, reclined seats and aeroscreen. on the lookout for a cage at some stage.....

Dave Hooper - North London

dmch2@lineone.net

The screen is insignificant in roll protection, it will simply bend in whatever direction it is pushed.

The 'standard bar' is legal for UK hillclimbing with a road legal car since no additional protection is required other than that provided by the manufacturer. However it's extremely unusual to see a Caterham in competition without at least an 'FIA' type bar. Cages are common at the more serious end of the class structure.

FWIW I'm just over 6 feet (whatever that is in Maltese...) and fit fine under a standard FIA bar with a helmet on. There's probably a photo on the Se7ens.net FTP site to show that. So you'll have no problem.

I reckon that for your usage an FIA bar will suffice for a reasonable safety level. If you go racing on circuits then I think a full cage is absolutely necessary.

(I rather like the idea of hillclimbing in Malta, I'm off to the Channel Islands in my single seater this summer for a taste of 'racing on the streets'.)

Paul

"I rather like the idea of hillclimbing in Malta"

if you are interested in steep and rough climbs or slippery sprints, then you will find our events interesting - you can enter anything up to 2200cc - it's been a while since we had some foreign competition. We do get some italians interested from time to time but we usually thrash them. They're used to smooth roads not our stuff. We have a group of Porsche/Ferrari entusiasts coming up in three weeks time and I'm sure it'll be fun - pity we're only allowed to watch as it's a team affair .

Sorry for turning this into chit chat. Must change forum...