Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fuel Filler Cap Spun Ali

Pierre Gillet

Pierre,

I assume you have the black 'injection' type of fuel cap with key lock in the centre. Due to the fitting requiring a small filler neck for unleaded petrol it seems that is the only approved cap.

BUT, James Whiting has been playing with a nice type (ali/socket bolts) so watch out for his adverts in late winter early new year.

Cheers Chris

P.S. There are always the 'cheat' types from our Halfords auto stores which are used for the Ford XR3i/ GTi's etc. About twenty UK pounds.

Chris,

you are absolutely right, except that it is painted ( apart from a black exterior ring ) in pearlescent ruby my car being in the "40th Anniversary" guise. I just got James Whiting's Catalogue on his Web site and found that he is proposing several sizes in spun Ali. From what you tell me I would assume that the smaller size would be the right one for me. That would be great because I like it best. I shall presently contact James.

Thanks a lot for the info.

Cheers,

Pierre

Pierre, I mated a aero filler (the 6 hole smaller one) to a standard Caterham k-series tank by using a Rover 100 series filler pipe (similar to caterham's one), shortening and cutting the flange off it. I then used the larger rubber pipe that the aero cap needs and cut 1 inch length of it which gave me a ring of rubber. The ring was cut to be smaller and fit inside the rubber pipe it came from and it fits the rover filler perfectly. I then drilled a tiny hole into the filler cap under the flap that lifts up on it to allow the system to breathe.

It works but it is very slow to fill up as the Rover filler pipe is at the wrong angle. The advantage of using the rover filler (or caterham equvalent) is that it allows the breather pipes to be plumbed in.

Alex Wong

alex.wong@lotus7club.co.uk

www.alexwong.net

Home : 44-(0)121-440 6972

Fax : 44-(0)121-440 4601

Edited by - Alex Wong on 5 Aug 2000 11:31:27

Alex,

Thank you for the precise description of your work. I shall use it as my Plan B in case the James Whiting off-the-shelf option does not actually exist. wiikl keep you informed.

Cheers,

Pierre

PS: I missed your group on the CERAM day during Le Sept. I planned to watch you on the circuit but due to some navigation problems (you know it's so easy to read a map in a Seven) we arrived around noon and you had already left the track as we saw some of you heading to your Auberge. The guard ( CERAM seems very heavily guarded) told us that your group had already left, and that if was a very "sympatique" one which seemed to had fun. At that time he did not mentioned your engine problem. We thought that the track day was over and drove back to Paris.

Too bad! May next year.