Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Worth getting a 200lb torque wrench?

Steve Kirk

I have a Sykes Pickavant torque wrench which I think is OK, but it only goes to 150lbs, and I am about to swap my rear disks this weekend which needs 200lb for the hub nuts. Thus I have the dilemma about whether its worth upgrading to a wrench with higher range or not. I can't think of any other job that needs more than 150lbs, can anyone else?

If I do buy a new one, the only 200lb wrench that I can find costing less than about 150 quid is a Halfords own brand which does up to 225lbs for sixty quid. Anyone got one of these that can recommend it? Or recommend something else instead?

I used a breaker bar (1/2" drive) and basically put my full weight on it at a suitable lever arm to make 200 lbf

Seems to have saved 60 quid!

And no, I'm not going to tell you the lever length!!!

NN blush.gif

Edited by - No Nuts on 3 May 2002 16:58:30

I would say (and I followed my own advice) that the 200 figure is not for setting bearing clearances or anything, just damn tight to ensure it stays done up - I used a 3/4 drive socket, bar and a long tube and bounced on the end - I'm fairly light and it seemed to work in that the wheels are still attached.

Bri

lets face it as they are threaded with the direction of rotation I dont see how they can come undone(you did know the ns is l/h thread?) Just do it up tight and borrow one at the earliest oppertunity. Halfords were doing buy2 get 1 free a few weeks ago when I had my rear hubs off and I came close to buying 2. should have posted on here we could have flogged the 3rd!