Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Race Technology GPS data logging ?

RESOLVIWOLF

Anyone used this system and can recommend it. Im looking for a cheap solution as opposed to the 2 grand stack setup.

What parameters does the race tech thing record and how does it record them... i.e. is it accurate ?

regards

Rich

I've looked into it. It seems to fall between two stools, its seems to be a nice gadget, but the data it generates would appear to be of limited use for serious improving yourself/car purposes.

It doesent show your lines around a circuit, and without an additional lap timing beacon/module the lap times it produces are not too accurate (depending mainly upon the speed that you cross the virtual start/finish line, ie the faster you cross it the more accurate its lap time will be). That said, the G force readings seem accurate and consistent , Its speed readings seem good, so I guess you could use it to compare speed and lateral G at certain sections.

Download the demo software and see what you think, I found a laptime variance of around 8seconds depending on whereabouts you placed the start/finish line. I suppose as long as you were consistent in placing the start/finish line you could use it to determine whether one lap was faster than the other (ie as a relative comparison), but you couldnt rely on it to produce absolute reliable laptimes.

I guess it depends what you want to do with it.

The info is all on www.race-technology.com.

You don't have to spend 2 grand, you can get a 4 channel Astratech system (as I did) for 700-800ukp. If I was buying now I'd seriously look at the Race Technology one, although it lacks any kind of display which I would have thought is an issue they would/should address.

Mike

Rich I've just got one this week it seems to be pretty good in terms of speeds, g forces etc. The track maping stuff also seems fairly accurate to the extent you can see different lines through corners. I haven't really had much of a chance to play with it but I'll have it with me at Imola on the 16th so should know more then.

The main thing about it is it doesn't do any procssing in the box it's all done afterwards on a PC. You're welcome to have ago with it next time we meet on a track day.

Cheers

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Edited by - rgrigsby on 5 May 2002 21:03:23

Edited by - rgrigsby on 5 May 2002 21:04:36

Logging sytems are commonly used in the gliding world and can be made to log a point every second BUT the most commonly used GPS such as the garmin use predictive algorithms which would give errors. You can see this if you walk in a straight line then cover the arial and make a change of direction and uncover the arial you will see that the GPS will continue to believe for some time that you are still moving in a straight line.

THe Rockwell system does not suffer from this and when combined with a glider logger should give good results at a reasonable cost.