Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Half Hood blows of at 75mph ish any suggestions ??

Simon Owen

First time out of the box & it blows of at only 75mph ish ☹️ not impressed.

( front right two poppers blew off windscreen - quite a shock at the time *eek* )

It all seems to fit OK, my only observations being that the poppers on the windscreen seem fairly easy to pop on and off, not sure if this is normal 🤔

Has anybody else had such problems 🤔

Quality of manufacture looks great but a bit pi**** off at the moment with first on the road experience.

Lots of them out there I know so any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Simon

Odd, mine has stayed on at speeds way above that.

Were you running with or without sidescreens at the time?

Have you replaced the poppers on the side by the roll bar with the ones provided.

Perhaps the poppers on the windscreen are worn *confused*

Simon Bell - Caterham 7 Duratec R

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec Check out the website here

Running with doors fitted & rear poppers replaced as per instructions.

Perhaps I need to replace the male side of the poppers on the windscreen, seems odd though as the car is not particularly old (2003).

What size rivets do people normally use to fit the poppers, I think the ones I used for the two new rears are a little big ?

it blows of at only 75mph

My missus does something similar - she starts crapping herself when I go too fast in the 7 😬

Seriously though, I’ve had no troubles with my JJ HH. A few things to consider -

- My hood requires some serious stretching to fit across the front. The poppers also require quite a bit of pressure to hit home.

- Have you got the correct hood? A full cage needs to have a non standard size HH - not sure if there are any other variations in hood size for different types of roll bar.

- How taught did you have the ‘guy ropes’ at the rear? I tend to slacken them off to fit the hood, tighten them on fitting and then re-tighten them a few minutes later, just before setting off.

- Take a look at the photo's in my sig (added for FTH). Not sure if it will give you any extra info, but you can at least see how my hood is set up (nice & taught).

Steve - Orange and Black ex Academy

Edited by - Blokko on 14 Oct 2007 15:27:57

Just re-read your initial post, and it occurred to me that we did have problems fitting the new side poppers. We had a variety of rivets, but found that those with the correct diameter were not deep enough to fit through the popper and into the bodywork. The next size up was good for depth, but the diameter of the rivet meant that it was too wide for the side strap on the HH to fit over.

The way that we got round it was to go with the larger diameter rivet, but we reduced this by gently running it over a linishing belt so that it would fit inside the popper.

Edited 'cos I can't spell propper.

Steve - Orange and Black ex Academy

Edited by - Blokko on 14 Oct 2007 15:41:52

They stay on ok with the side doors. *tongue*

I wonder what the speed record is for a half-hood without side doors?

Maybe we should do some testing.

When I get the engine in the SV, I'll do a (track) test of my "Zippy' half-hood (like Jill's "Easy-in" with zips)

We've certainly done well over 75mph but I must admit we had the side doors on.

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds..ooooh hooo hooo!!...

😬 😬Abbey Road Time-Machine *eek* *eek*

I fitted a HH recently, left the sidescreens off and pushed it upto the "magic three" with no problem at all, the windscreen poppers though are a really tight fit. I suppose you could order another pair of the "locking cam" type that are supplied for the side straps and fit to the outside edges of the screen if you still get a problem.

Simon

I had this happen to me too. I called Jill Judd and they sent me some heavier duty poppers. Swapped them over, problem solved.

As an alternative you can just squeeze the poppers on the hood a bit to ovalize them and make them tighter.

AMMO

Hi

Had this happen to me on the motorway and have since fitted pull the dot poppers to replace the poppers on RH and LH of the screen (supplied by Jill)

Also ensure that the hood is fully tensioned...All ok now

John

Mine did the same. They had a batch of poppers wrongly labelled so some had weaker poppers fitted. I sent it back as was not sure I would be able to fit the new poppers properly and SBFS returned it very promptly. It now holds tight at "high speed". It is a bit disconcerting when it blows off

*arrowup* 😬

Can vouch that mine stays on at 110mph on the Autobahn with side doors 😶‍🌫️

I would agree with the others in changing the poppers. Perhaps look at the ones on the screen as well? Could you possibly crimp the popper slightly with some pliers to give a tighter fit?

Where am I?