Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

O/T SD card problem

FlymoFraser

Trying to put loads of photos onto a 2GB SD card.

Filled about a quarter of the card and now it won't accept anymore fies, says "cannot copy XXXXX The directory or file cannot be created.

Doesn't seem to be the files themselves as I've tried different types and if I delete some files from the card I can put new ones on again.

Properties shows it as a 2GB card, it is formatted in FAT32 if that makes a difference?

Any ideas?

R287 Mobile Jaffa Cake- It's black at both ends with a smashing orangey bit in the middle here

I'm not sure how man files a FAT32 directory can contain but there is a limit, a directory entry will be a certain number of sectors/clusters and when this is filled the directory is 'full', on a floppy it is quite limited, I'm not sure of the limits on a removable drive. If the SD card had a multiple directory structure you might be able to move a few to another directory.

Oily

FAT32 shouldn't suffer from a full root directory, but just in case...

If you have put all the pictures in the top level (root) directory, try deleting a file or two, create a sub-directory and put your pictures in the sub-directory.

The reason is that (on some file systems) the root directory is a fixed size and can only hold a certain number of files. FAT32 should be OK but, give the above a try and see.

It's because you're putting them all in one folder. Create multiple folders and put about 100 files in each. I don't know why this happens with SD and SDHC cards but I got around it this way.

`it seems that any folder including the root directory has a maximum number of files it can have.

Edited by - Alex Wong on 14 Oct 2007 23:17:12