Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

how to tell what kind of seats

awoodton

How many kinds of leather seats are there in caterhams - are they all S-type or are there others and how do I tell them apart ? (S-types are expensive and if I see a car with them advertised I'd like to know what I'm looking at)

Thanks

Andy

The pre-s type leather seat that I have on an 88 car is very flat in the base, ie no under thigh support.

The s types have a base cusion that is about 30 degrees from the horizontal, I think they have more prominent side bolsters also.

The base cusion also lifts out on the S-type.

Nick

There is also the difference between those with a removal squab and those that haven't. Mine are leather (1996) and have a moveable front thigh support, and adjustable sectors in the lower lumbar area. I find that the lateral support, and general back comfort, is much better in the removable squab type. However, Snapper, feels exactly the opposite. So you must check this out for yourself. You can check this from the passenger seat during a ride with someone else, so get people to give you a ride (at least half an hour) to let you try this out. It's an expensive mistake if you get this wrong.

My car was built in 1996 as a scholarship car and the leather seats must have been put in later. They are the older style set on rails without the removable squab. I find the seat very comfortable even though I am 6'2 and the design means that my legs are not crushed up against the bottom of the steering wheel. Alex has kindly offered me a drive in VDU on a couple of occasions but I didnt think I would be able to get in with the new type seats he has fitted. I think the comments of try before you buy must be right.

Ade smile.gif

Make the world a better place, hug an estate agent