Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Cam belt question

shn7

Steve I have an unused MG xpower one, still in box, which i bought from caterham in june before a change of plans, i believe it should suit, but you may want to confirm...

so find out how much from caterham and will send to you with 20% off, and I will cover postage *thumbup*

ping me offline, won't be able to post till weekend at earliest

rob *smile*

It depends if you have an automatic (plastic roller) tensioner or a manual (metal roller) tensioner, for the auto tensioner you need the latest 1800 belt, 125 tooth, 26mm wide, if you have the manual tensioner you need the VVC front belt 123 tooth, 26mm wide, do not use the 123 tooth 23mm belt.

Oily

Steve,

Me again *smile*

Don't know what the manual tensioner looks like, but the automatic one has a black wheel that the belt touches. It also has a spur of metal with a notch in the end, sticking out to one side. This has to be aligned to a wire which also sticks out the side and is attached to the tensioner. The spur and wire are behind the cambelt.

And you have to take the cambelt cover off to see it.

N.

So I need to check for a metal roller and if it is metal (manual) then need the 123 tooth, 26mm wide variant. From recollection when you (oily) fitted an offset dowel I think it's manual but will have to whip the cover off and take a look.

Steve.

Sussex (West) AO

Not forgetting Percy the Polar Bear

Thanks for the offer Mark but probably easier (for me) for Rob to post direct unless of course you'll be coming to the next West Sussex meet at the Gribble.

Steve.

Sussex (West) AO

Not forgetting Percy the Polar Bear

• 2 weeks later...
for the auto tensioner you need the latest 1800 belt, 125 tooth
I hesitate to question something that Oily says, but I seem to recall the belt on my 1999 1.8K (with auto tensioner) has 145 teeth. Perhaps I miscounted.... *confused*

JV

(Edited to add that the MG Rover P/N was LHN100560.)

Edited by - John Vine on 20 Oct 2007 18:20:07