Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R500 and SLR Chassis the same??

tbhall777

The R500 chassis is identical as long as you spec no screen on your SLR. I know this because my order for the SLR says: Taken from post on this site.

PART ACRD01.5SR CBU ASSY RHD DEDION 2001> SUPERLIGHT R & R500

My post.

I'm sure this is correct. Why else would it say it on my order? I think, as I said, the difference everyone meant was the windscreen strengtheners under the scuttle, which obviously the R500 doesn't have unless you are getting a screen.

I wonder if "SUPERLIGHT R & R500" means : superlight, superlight R and R500 or just superlight R and R500? If you see what I mean? Perhaps the std superlight has a different chassis because of the Watts link it doesn't have as standard (in fact I'm pretty sure this is right!)

R500 has a short passenger footwell. R500 has a single position gearbox mounting plate. R500 has non removable upper engine bay upper memebers.

These would all mark out the R500 chassis from the 96-on universal chassis.

Edited by - peter Carmichael on 2 May 2002 10:31:55

When I bought my chassis - I enquired about the R500 one (jut out if interest in terms of weight) and was told it was lighter than a standard de dion chassis in the sense that it incorporated lightweight tube sections in certain areas - Obviously nonsense looking at this post.

dont know if this helps i have the new r 400 and 500 spec sheet and it states

CHASSIS TYPE CURRENT 2001.5(NOT SV)THE 300 IS THE SAME MY SS LAST YEAR

also had the none removable upper engine bay uprights.

fredid=blue> biggrin.gif

So.

Are we saying that the new chassis have the non removable uprights Peter talks of?) so now the universal 96> chassis has effectively gone?

I wonder if the new one has the other bits Peter mentions like the short footwell/gearbox plate thingy?

I have double checked all my purchase info and even the actual invoice itself clearly shows the chassis as this 2001.5 Superlight R and R500 "CBU". There'd be no point in Caterham "inventing" this just for my order!

Perhaps Caterham wanted to try and standardise things a bit? So it now looks as though the R400 and 500 (and my SLR!) do have the same chassis...........

dont have the short footwell but have the gear box plate

the crossmember that the steering rack sits on has large holes in it

i was told this was a r500 thing dont know i think you are right Julian

Perhaps Caterham wanted to try and standardise things a bit? So it now looks as though the R400 and 500 (and your SLR!) do have the same chassis...........

fredid=blue> biggrin.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Just had the invoice for my 1.6 Superlight and it lists the chassis details as

PART ACRD01.5SR CBU ASSY RHD DEDION 2001> SUPERLIGHT R & R500

This is the same as Julians SLR.

May be the R300 and my SL will have the same chassis as the R400/500.

Does this come with Watts Linkage?

TonyR