Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

MOT and rear ARB

Alba 7

My car failed its MOT at the weekend due to the rear ARB not being connected.

From the many discussions that have taken place here on suspension set up, it would appear that I am not alone in running with the rear ARB disconnected. My MOT tester said that if the car has an ARB it must be connected up and working correctly.

I was just wondering how others got around this? Is your tester more lenient or do you connect up the ARB for the test and then disconnet it later?

The one bit of good news was that the underdash handbrake passed the test! Clearly tightening up the adjuster has made a difference!

Nick,

This is what it was starting to feel like which is a shame as I've used them many times before for the tin top.

They spent 40 minutes trying to convince me that it was impossible to test the car as presented. They couldn't get the jacking beam slid under the car whilst on the ramp due to sump clearance - I suggested half a dozen times that a few pieces of wood under the front wheels, would raise it sufficiently to get the beam under but they seemed incapable of listening until I offered to go home and fetch my own planks.

The tester was adamant that if an ARB was in place it hadto be connected and functioning i.e. just disconnecting it wasn't good enough as it would be deemed a failure due to 'inoperable ARB'. It looks like I either need to remove the whole ARB or get some links and reconnect it.

The more I think about it, the more I'm unhappy with the way the car was tested. They did the brake test on the road, as it has a LSD. Tester jumped in, didn't bother strapping up harness and took off up the road with no eye protection in an aeroscreen car. He could have easily got a bee in the eye (there were plenty around on Saturday) and had a nasty accident. When he got back he said that the brake pedal was almost impossible to press and that this was a safety issue - this was because his size 10 safety boots kept hitting the throttle at the same time as the brake. I did point out that I was wearing pixie boots for a very good reason *mad*

I shall be looking for a more Seven aware tester next year as this guy really wasn't on the ball. He even wanted to fail the handbrake as it wasn't in the centre of the car and asked me why I had relocated it under the dash *confused*

We are luck that we have seven owner who runs our local MOT station and has got all the kit to jack the car up etc for the test. Shame its so far away from you.

Where do the other local Seven Owners test theirs?

Its Yellow And Black and Makes me 😬here

The guy is obviously a twat - there are a lot about - I had one fail me because there was no non-slip coating on the brake pedal.

I think that the wording of the MOT will be on his side however as many people can get away without side repeaters, but if they are fitted and one bulb is not working you will definately fail, same as your absent windscreen wipers did not fail you but if they are fitted and not working then they will.

Nick

I had one fail me because there was no non-slip coating on the brake pedal
Strange you mention that, he failed me on that one as well ☹️

At least he didn't demand that I have side repeaters, I think I might have swung for him if he had *mad*

• Area Representative

At my last test, they forgot to do an emissions test, but insisted on the rear ARB being connected. But, like Malcolm, I'd got the drop link in my pocket just in case.

Why argue with an MOT tester *confused* They are just likely to look a little harder at the car and the rules *smile*

Richard,

I have no intention of arguing for that very reason *smile* I'm sure if they wanted to, they could have a field day with a Seven and the MOT regs if applied to the letter.

I'll just take my business elsewhere in future (and that includes the tip top and the wife's car as well). It is a shame as they used to small and helpful, now they have got bigger they have started to act like a Main Dealer ☹️ ☹️

They spent 40 minutes trying to convince me that it was impossible to test the car as presented. They couldn't get the jacking beam slid under the car whilst on the ramp due to sump clearance - I suggested half a dozen times that a few pieces of wood under the front wheels, would raise it sufficiently to get the beam under but they seemed incapable of listening until I offered to go home and fetch my own planks.

All that says is they their equipment (both mechanical and cerebral) ain't up to the job not that there's a problem with your car.

Definitely time to find a new test station. I'd write to the owner/manager and point out that their MOT tester just lost them an ongoing revenue stream from your fleet of cars just to see what reaction it gets 😬

Steve.

Sussex (West) AO

Not forgetting Percy the Polar Bear