Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Indicators not working

chrisddl

Yesterday afternoon, we decided that the weather was good for a quick blat before lunch. So did the usual pre low flying checks and all ok except no indicators. Checked the indicator switch, ie by-passed it, still no indicators, checked the indicator fuse which is ok, so what other possible faults come to mind. My thoughts now center on the flasher unit, so how can this be checked out and if it's dead, where can I get a replacement other than CC ?

Thanks for your help

ChrisL

I guess it is a bog-standard flasher unit - no doubt a search in TechTalk will reveal many posts on this subject. The hazard light switch tip above sounds good - many an indicator problem seems to have been cured by switching this on/off a few times !

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking...

And racing around to come up behind you again. Seven related photos

Had same problem myself - hazard light switch.

Switch it on and off a few times making sure it fully switches and all indicators flash when hazards are on.

Mine went on the day before MoT but new part arraived in the nick of time 1st class post - New switch from CC is about £7 plus nominal p&p. *smile*

Blue Roadsport with silver stripe. . . . .it does exactly what it says on the tin! *biggrin*

Chris,

If turning the hazard lights on and off a couple of times doesn't work, wiggle the relays under the dash (I think the one to the right is the indicator relay).

This usually works for me and even more fun if SWMBO is sitting in the passenger seat!

Bruce.

Edited by - Brucey on 1 Oct 2007 19:21:26

I had this exact problem last week and reckoned the relay was buggered as the indicators refused to work, no matter what I fiddled and tried, so I went to buy a new one. That didn't work either. Head scratching, hmm, tried the hazards. Funny, they work. Oh, right indicator works too -- must've just put in the wires the wrong way when bypassing the indicator switch, so new relay works after all. Great, small thing quickly sorted. Except now the old relay works too! *confused*

Never could work out what had happened but now after reading this I suspect fiddling with the hazards did the trick. No idea why, though.

---

Kristoffer Lawson

Sorry Johnty, when I did the first posting from the home PC on Sunday, I got an error message after pressing the POST button, suggesting the posting was not possible, so I tried again yesterday from the works system. I then noticed later that the first one got through, strange for sure.

Anyway you guys are the tops. I tried the hazard switch trick and all's working again.

Thanks to you all.

ChrisL

• 5 months later...

Hi,

Having an indicator problem I replaced the flasher unit but they still didn't work. So after researching on here that the problem may be related to the Hazard switch I noticed that indeed my Hazard switch wasn't working. I've taken the Hazard switch out, cleaned the points (same with the indicator switch) and 'Hey Presto' the Hazards now work as do the passenger side front and rear indicators BUT not the other side *confused* ☹️ Any ideas?

Thanks

Super Grad

Mark,

Try putting the left indicators on, then fiddling with the hazard switch near the off position...they may come on.

The hazard switches aren't great. Possibly because they're so little used.

Failing that, check for continuity across the indicator switch, both sides.

Willie