Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

K series spark plug torque value

CharlesElliott

Oh come on Charles give us a break Just think Every single nut and bolt on our cars has a recommended Torque BUT If we where to use the T Wrench on every one we'd never be done Just imagine a High St garage where every mechanic used GOOD ENGINEERING PRACTICE and Torqued every bolt Imagine the Time and the Cost *eek* *nono* *wavey* 😬

jj

N.I. L7C AR 🙆🏻

Membership No.3927.

Johnty,

I (usually) do !

Provided you know the torque of the bolt you're about to tighten, how much longer does it take to use a torque wrench (OK mine are Stahlwille which are very easy & fast to adjust) over a similar non-torque ?

/r

>>imagine a High St garage where every mechanic used GOOD ENGINEERING >>PRACTICE and Torqued every bolt

Might be a good idea if they did.

When I used to have my cars serviced at garages there were two occasions within five years when the plugs were left too loose with resulting inconvenience.

MY BLAT-O-METER

2007: 64 (to 27th September)

2006: 89

2005: 91

2004: 64

2003: 66

2002: 66

2001: 79

2000: 32 (divorce!)

1999: NRA

It's not a bad idea. The biggest issue I have is with the length of hand tools. Hand tight with a 6" rachet spanner is a mile from hand tight with a 10" breaker bar. Everybody should have a favourite rachet that they get used to. Who here has never stripped a thread? I love using torque wrenches when you can. It takes the element of doubt out of the equation.

Having said that, I usually do mine up by feel......

I also have a few helicoil kits which I've become quite proficient at using though........

I run a workshop at work and also work at home 90% of my torquing is done as most mechanics of my age do with my elbow 😬 thats not to say I don't use a wrench I do I have three [very expensive ones] But I don't Torque spark plugs EVER and to my knowledge have never had a problem as a result 😶‍🌫️

jj

N.I. L7C AR 🙆🏻

Membership No.3927.