Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Dartford Composites

Drumster

• Leadership Team

I got new wings from DC a couple of years ago. Prices are very competitive, but they were quite a lot thinner/flimsier than my previous "Caterham" parts.

That did mean that they were a lot lighter though...

Michael.

Got a nose cone for my previous car from there. IMO : not the same quality as the original CC nose cone (which is strange since they used to be the supplier to CC), but then again ... also not the same price (70 GBP if I recall correctly).

If I'd ever need a GRP nose cone again, I wouldn't mind spending a bit extra and buy one from CC ... has a more quality feel to it *thumbup*

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away” Antoine de Saint Exupery

• 1 year later...

I got a replacement GRP nosecone in standard CC yellow ... but as said above, not really impressed with the quality *eek*

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away” Antoine de Saint Exupery

If Dartford Composites are making parts up to customer order, presumably one has the opportunity to discuss with them how thick a GRP lay-up is required. Any grade from see-through-flimsy to bombproof.

Peter

6SpeedManual *smokin*

*tongue*There's no such thing as too much BHP per Ton 😬

The thickness/strenght of the GRP was considerably less then on my previous nosecone, which was a CC item. Good for the weight ... not so good for the durability. On the positive side : surface finish & color match were OK *wink*

At the time, I didn’t have any choice regarding the thickness.

Maybe this has now changed ?

Btw, I paid 70 GBP for a nosecone and that was back in 2005 ...

Edited by - Slider@7 on 28 Oct 2008 15:49:10

I bought one of DCs nosecones this year as stated above (in Ford Diamond white gel coat), this replaced the original nosecone from 1993, which, AFAIK, was also produced by DC, who at the time, I understand were CCs official supplier.

As far as I can tell the quality is identical.

NB the only reason I had to change was that some old codger in France reversed into the original nosecone *mad*

Still happy with mine... *thumbup*

Chris Alston

C7CAT 1800 Supersprint

R248 *tongue* ....and then I jumped in *eek*

I bought a set of flares from DC. Good colour match but finishing around the edges was a bit rough and there were some some imperfections in the finish, small indentations rather than completely smooth. But for the price and on a 14 year old X Flow, it does the job!

Terry

1700XF - Team Lotus with flares.

• 4 months later...
I got new wings from DC a couple of years ago. Prices are very competitive, but they were quite a lot thinner/flimsier than my previous "Caterham" parts.
I've just bought new ones from Caterham and they're 500 g against 800 g for the the Dartford one I've taken off.

(No need for Sikaflex or whatever either - I'd bonded bigheads (available from RiF) with a 3" square of glass fibre and I was unable to prise them off after 4 years / 40,000 miles.)