Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How do I adjust the pedals ?

Nick Woods

As I've explained elsewhere I dont have a proper workshop manual for my car. The crappy photocopy that the owner-before-last did has the contents page included, which says 'section 3.2 pedal adjustment'. Guess what, the actual pages go section 3.1, then section 3.5.

So, can someone briefly explain how I adjust the pedals - I have the seat all the way forward and would like to put it further back becuase it traps the seatbelt adjusters and makes it hard to do them up.

Thanks (again !)

Nick

P8MRA - The green one with red wings

Take off the pedal box cover from under the bonnet. Its the large shiney cover just beside the master cylinder - held in with several screws

Each pedal has three positions and is held in with nut and bolt. Remove nut and bolt, select appropriate position and refit.

Easy as that

Your two options are to either fine adjust by loosening lock nuts and twiddling cable/pushrod lengths, or to move the pivot position for the pedals.

For basic twiddling...

...clutch: should be adjusted at the bellhousing - which is a bit tricky to get to, but by the third attempt you will have it cracked - unhook the nipple, remove the cable end and feed through into the open where you can undo the lock nuts and adjust.

...brake , undo the lock nut. Push rod can now be turned winding the stirrup in and out. Make sure the end of the pushrod doesn't makes contact with the top of the pedal during its travel

...throttle: adjust at the butterfly. Clip the plastic stop out of the metal bracket, twiddle to new position and refit

To move the pivot, you take the pedal box cover off (eight bolts) and behold what is inside. There are two bolts each of which can be set in one of three positions. One bolt is for clutch and brake. One is for throttle which threads into a bush in the side rail of the chassis.

The angles get a bit funny when you move away from the central position and you may find it makes things worse until you find some magic setting. Extreme positions may require hacksawing pushrods to the right length. At this stage the best advice is to use your wits.

Not quite the same topic but closely related. I have a problem getting my left foot comfortable because the foot space is limited and obvioulsy no 'rest' place left of the clutch pedal. The only place to 'rest' my left foot is actually on or above the clutch pedal, on longer journeys this is tiresome as I obvioulsy don't let the weight rest on the pedal in case of clutch wear. Have I got the pedals adjusted incorrectly or are my size 10 feet too big?

X5 SER

Thanks, chaps

Just adjusted my accelerator pedal so it is in line with the other two (clutch and brake on middle position, acceleraton in position closest to driver).

Can do my heel-toe properly now and the car feels more responsive (less slack in the throttle cable).

Much obliged :-)