Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

How much are 8/13/22 Avon ACB10's incl Vat ?

edmandsd

8 is actually the tread width in inches rather than the rim width. The R500 wheels for these come in 8 1/2 inches width.

The ACB's started in 6 inch width for Formula Fords. FF's are limited to 5 inch wide rims (or might be 5 1/2, forget) so allegedly the tyre sidewalls are deliberatley designed to run on rim widths narrower than the tread width which is against accepted racing principles. Not sure if all ACB's follow this design principle, if so then putting 8 inch ACB's on 8 1/2 inch rims isn't necessary, could even be non ideal.

For 7 inch ACB's theres a single smooth 1 inch band of rubber up the middle, for 8 inch ACB's there's two bands. I guess there's a single 6 inch mould and they just split it and add one or two spacers to make the bigger tyres. Seems crude but clearly works a treat.

They are crossply Racing Tyres that Avon have been kind enough to E mark to allow us to use them on the road. Its the current equivalent/alternative of the old DOT marked crossply Hoosier that I used and remember fondly from the early 90's (and that had missleading sizes on them as well). If only I could use either of them in the events that I do these days.

Paul