Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Beaulieu and Classic Warning

jonsharland

IF you are about to or are builing a Beaulieu or a classic be warned that the "Guide" as they call it makes no mention of when you fit the headlight fitments unless you have the uprated suspension.

The correct place to fit these So I have found out to my annoyance is when you fit the upper suspension. so check out the uprated suspension part of the guide even if you don't have the uprated suspension.

also I have found no refrence to how you fit the prop shaft

IF you have recently built a classic or a Beaulieu please can you tell me if this is the same in the guide you got sent and if so what other issues problems missing things you found.

Sounds like the 'guide' hasn't been updated since last August then. Fortunately i'd spotted the headlamp bracket omission and yes it doesn't bother mentioning the prop shaft either! Caterham did say they were in the process of updating the guide but obviously not that one.

I think there are a few more banana skins to come - i'll try and dig out my notes (I kept my mate in Aus updated with the build).

Neill

Checked my e-mails and found the following :

The torque setting for the rear mounting of a standard roll bar is stated incorrectly - 20-25 Lbft but should be 15lbft - managed to strip the thread on the first one which will make fitting an FIA bar at a later date a pain.

When assembling gearbox and bellhousing manual tells you to fit clutch release arm and bearing etc before attaching the bellhousing to gearbox - only thing is you can't because the release arm is in the way of two of the bolts. Doh! - should have spotted that one.

Other things I had 'fun' with include fitting the electronic speedo sensor - just a bit awkward and a brake line was stopping me lining it up square.

Also throttle cable had to be modified - there was insufficient inner cable so carbs were being held open (not enough adjustment at the pedal box end) - had to unwind and remove part of the outer cable casing.

Also check that the reverse light connections on the gearbox are kept far enough way from the transmission tunnel - otherwise they eventually rub and short out - blown fuses galore. Connections inside reverse light and rear fog light can cause blown fuses too - i had a dodgy fog light connection as well.

I also did not understand how the plastic clips for holding the rear axle brake line worked - put clip in axle hole and tap with hammer - the upper part breaks off and inserts itself securely into the lower part.

I think the rest of it was fairly straightforward??

Neill