Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What Springs and Dampers? (Live Axle)

Big Brother

This winter I'm going to try to resist the urge to make my car go any faster....in a straight line that is 😬

I need to sort out my (live axle) suspension as I'm running the standard Spax set up with unknown spring rates and the original "anti-rollbar forms part of the top wishbone" front suspension.

I also have a rather loose rear end *eek*

I've sourced a kit to convert the front wishbones to "dedion" spec. This kit also contains a slightly stiffer ARB.

I really want to fit adjustable dampers and height adjustable spring seats (for flat flooring) and some fresh springs.

I've read that rose jointed dampers are a good choice for a live axle.

Are there any downsides with going this route (lack of damper choice, wear, reliability etc)

What should I be looking to buy? (damper makes, spring rates etc)

Price is a big issue so cheap is good *smile*

Secondhand is even better *wink*

Steve

SE7EN-UP!

Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies

I have my original bilstein dampers and springs (all rose jointed) as originally fitted to BDR700 if you're interested. They have adjustable seats and come with a set of springs but are are not adjustable bump and rebound. They sound like they'd be ideal for your application. Give me a ring on 07825 122961 if you're interested in discussing further.

Best regards

David

Home of BDR700

Steve,

My LA is also the

the original "anti-rollbar forms part of the top wishbone" front suspension
spec.

Redline fitted uprated springs a few years back to their "trackday" spec (from memory it's something like 270lb front, 95lb rear). I still have the original spax front shocks, and recently fitted new adjustable GAZ rears (7-Indulgence did the work, and set the stiffness and height).

Only other work has been 7-Indulgence going over the all bushes, tightening and replacing as necessary.

IMHO it now handles like a dream, is very effective on track (backed up by performance in sprints) and brilliant on the road (in the dry, anyway 😬).

None of it was expensive, and as the work was done in three stages I could really feel the difference each made.

Bob Stark

Supersprinter

My Twin Cam is also still using the standard solution, but I' ve got 2 sets of springs and shocks. The first is the standard Spax + long springs and the second is a set of Koni' s + shorter / stiffer springs.

The ride height difference between the Spax and Koni suspension is about 1/2 inch.

The car is at this moment on the Koni suspension and the handling is perfect, even with the standard anti rollbar, but unfortunately the Belgian roads are bad and very bumpy, so the ride height is too low for these conditions.

The Koni suspension was chosen for the car in Germany where they have much better roads and the suspension also works perfectly on a track !

I talked to Redline and they suggested to go back to the Spax + fit stiffer long springs; this is probably their "trackday spec".

My experience proves that it is not necessary to go to expensive solutions and rebuild the suspension. BTW if you' re interested in the set of Koni' s + springs, let me know because I' ll remove them in the winter months.

Replaced my dampers at the start of the year with "rose" jointed rears.. off the top of my head think i paid £190 for the pair with springs from Avo, only problem i had was, you have to manufacture sleeves to locate the damper were it bolts to the axle (steel inner tube of a rubber mount cuts up well!) i also replaced the rubber bushes frount (less the lower frount ones)and rear with powerflex bushes which in my mind totally changed the handling of the car

I do have the order list from powerflex for the Super sprint , its fairly straight forwards but the A frame bush is a s*** to fit back into the axle

Regards

Lardy

Lardy,

I know it's too late but caterham make cone shaped spacers/sleeves for the the rose jointed shocks, no need to fabricate. They are cone shaped so as not to impeed the movement of the rose joint. They were orginally designed for rose jointed A frames but fit perfectly.

Cheers

Chris

• 1 month later...