Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Live shorting onto chassis

Red SLR

Not a 7 but our 13 year old 7.5 tonner.

Seems the +ve feed off the 24v has worn out where it goes into the chassis and has rubbed onto the rails... quite a sturdy vehicle so we think its been like this for a few days.. the truck gave up this afternoon and the fault was found. Managed to get it going again once the repair had been done but it looks like its taken out lots of electrical stuff, PTO, and maybe the air pump for the brakes (wont build pressure on the brakes).

Anyone got any ideas what damage may have been done?

We were considering replacing it next year and I was hoping to get to March out of it but its looking very sorry for itself now ☹️

LEJOG WEB SITE here

RedSLR,

It's unlikely that a short circuit to earth will have taken out anything but battery and alternator.

Of course if the output from the alternator is fed through a fuse block or some sort of distributor this may as well have been cooked.

I doubt a pump will have been damaged!

/regin

Can you hear an air leak Simon? One of my trucks had an air leak that was a complete bugger to find and resulted in many days off the road while it was stripped.

Unless the short has created a hole in a pipe I can't see any other way it will affect what is, essentially, a mechanical operation.

As an aside, what truck were you thinking of replacing it with? I've just bought an Iveco 75E17 that is Euro V spec for emissions and, unknown to me at the time, comes with a separate tank for a product called 'Adblue' that effectively doses the fuel charge to improve emissions. What a right royal PITA that is. *mad*

First there are currently very few outlets and secondly it is damned expensive stuff. I believe there are other manufacturers who have achieved Euro V by improving the engine rather than using additives so be warned and do look at the alternatives. *thumbup*

My next oldest 7.5t truck is also an Iveco but at 15 months old is Euro IV so doesn't have any need for Adblue.

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

We are doing our best to avoid adblu! Our newest truck is an 03 MAN 28/280 so been easy so far. But our next 7.5 will be an E4 definatly, prob about 12 months old.

We have a guy that comes into work once a month to stock up our TFR, oils and rags and stuff and he does the adblu, seems to be selling quite a lot of it! I take it you know what the active ingrediant is?! 😬

Regarding the fault, towed the said lorry back into our workshop today so will be having a look over it on Monday. I have a feeling it will be scrapped if its done more than a few hundred in damage as its only worth a couple of k.

We have been looking at a Renault Mascot 160bhp.

LEJOG WEB SITE here

Active ingredient???..........they're taking the p1ss surely! *wink*

Actually, the ingredient urea is supposedly energy intensive to produce so it would be interesting to carry out a study of energy used/Co2 produced to make 1 litre of 'Adblue' against the nasty gases in the exhaust converted by the use of this liquid.

Maybe I should go into production since I produce rather a lot after every pub session. 😬

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬