Click here if you are having website access problems ×

2.0 zetec engine

Steve Kirk

I have a 2 litre zetec engine in the garage that has been patiently sitting there shiny and unused for too long, and I keep thinking I should do something with it. I keep telling myself that I'll install it in a car one day, but having recently bought a 2 litre VX Caterham this looks unlikely for a while. So I thought if it is worth a good price to someone I might sell it rather than hang on to it....

It was built by Dunnells based on a very low mileage used engine which they stripped and rebuilt using their stage 1 (165bhp) kit on 45DCOEs plus some nice extra mods such as lightened flywheel, alloy sump and 3D (rather than the standard 2D) ignition. They then set it all up and ran it in on their dyno. I also have some bits from James Whiting's Caterham Zetec installation kit to go with it.

Although it's not brand new, it is very close to that according to the history I was given by the salvage company. I have invoices for approx £3250 that it has cost me. I can supply more details if anyone is interested.

Steve.

I wondered if that would be the first question! Truth is that I am not really sure what it's worth - but I do think that if you were to go out and get a similar one yourself, you'd probably still pay about the same as I did. (At the time I bought it, even getting a base engine was difficult and I could probably have sold it on for a profit!)

Not being funny, but if it turns out to be not worth much to anyone then it doesn't matter if I don't sell it - I'll just hold onto it a bit longer. I'm testing the water so to speak. Why not email me direct and tell me roughly what you think it's worth to you ;)