Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

How much is a Caterham Cars Dry Sump System?

CAB

Hello

I need to take the engine/box out of my 7 to change the clutch release bearing. I had thought about fitting a dry sump system to the car at some point. Now that the engine is coming out it might be a good time to do it even though it is a bit earlier than planned. Can anyone give me a rough idea of the cost of the Caterham system that can be used with the existing Apollo tank? I understand that the PACE system might be cheaper and better. Is it possible to use the PACE system with the Caterham bell-housing tank?

Any advice would be very welcome, as well as a set of instructions if anyone has a set knocking about.

Cheers

CAB

The complete system with bell tank is about £1700.

You can do it with the separate tank that fits at the end of the footwell for about £1100.

Pace item runs out at about the same as the cheaper Caterham option.

I don't know any more information.

the Pace system uses the same pump for pressure and (twin) scavenge ie the original oil pump is bypassed. This means that in the event of toothed belt failure (it's driven off a modified front pulley) you lose all oil pressure instantly, so you will need to protect the belt/ install a low-pressure warning and react to it instantly/ do both of the above.

The Caterham system uses a single scavenge pump, driven with a grooved belt off the front pulley (with tensioner etc) and uses the original pressure pump for, er, pressure. This means that in the case of belt failure, you only lose oil pressure once all the oil in the DS tank has been pumped. With a sensor on the belt you'd have several seconds to react. Without a sensor you're in the same position as the Pace system.

There are allegedly advantages to running twin scavenge, notably creating vacuum in the crankcase assuming you seal the breathers, however there are those who think this is a bad idea. They'll be along in a minute no doubt!

You'll find advocates of both systems on here, you pays yer money etc etc

PS why would you want/ need to use the apollo with a DS?

Martin

Aero'd supersported ex-Roadsports B...anyone got a cheap LSD/ 6 speed box?

Edited by - mwoodham on 19 Sep 2007 15:53:57

PS why would you want/ need to use the apollo with a DS?

Some argue that the oil capacity of the CC system with belltank is low, and that the ability of the CC tower on the belltank to de-aerate the oil is limited. So having the apollo as well addresses both. I'm not sure if this is all true or just speculation.

Malcolm

This means that in the case of belt failure, you only lose oil pressure once all the oil in the DS tank has been pumped.
And once all the oil has been pumped into the engine the resulting hydraulic lock may bend/break other components. *cry*

Edited by - Mick Day on 19 Sep 2007 18:01:09

V7SLR was fitted with a standard microswitch that was activated if the tensioner was released ie if the belt had snapped.

Nigel kindly emailed me the images, I'll see if I can get his permission to put them on a web server.

/regin

ref my earlier post, Porsche fitted a fan belt failure switch to 993 (& some 964) models, a little wheel that runs on the belt itself. Sounded dodgy to me too, if anyone other than Porsche designed it I wouldn't suggest it.

you can buy them here part no 993.106.035.00, £42.24 inc vat.

I should say that I've not used this myself (since my DS system is still sitting on the bench waiting for a few final problems to be solved, like engine mount fouling the pump outlets...!) but I'll be fitting one in due course.

from here

Martin

Aero'd supersported ex-Roadsports B...anyone got a cheap LSD/ 6 speed box?

355GTS may have something to say/ask about this in an hour or so - he is on his way back from Hullavington where it seems his dry sump pump seized, which caused the belt to come off. First he knew was when the low oil pressure light came on, and he instantly stopped - hopefully the engine is ok.....

www.mycaterham.com

here

Videos

here

101,000 miles car