Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Airbox fitted to VDU7X with pics

Alex Wong1697456877

I've fitted an airbox to my car. Pictures are here.

It's a Reverie Hockenheim XE Airbox Kit going via a short piece of ducting into a 15cm aluminium cone and a 15cm K&N filter. The inlet for the box had was shortened alot to get the cone as close to the box as possible to allow it to fit under the nosecone. The box was also trimmed by nearly 4 cm in depth to clear the front wheel cycle wing at full lock. I did have to flatten the cone into an oval to get it to fit under the nosecone.

Cost approx £500 from Reverie for a fibreglass kit (mine's carbon, but was a reject airbox because the finish was not up to their high standards. It's been painted and looks like a fibreglass one.) What's nice is that it all fits under the bonnet and nose with very little in the way of mods, and no naca ducts or scoops. I did have to trim away quite alot of bonnet to get it to fit.

In my case, because the Weber Alpha throttle bodies use rubber sections to attach the rampipes, it's a 1 min job to change from airbox back to the ITG filter.

I accept the airbox is going to get warmer air and probably sap a bit of power but I suspect the difference will be pretty small. It certainly seems alot quieter. There's much less induction roar. I think most of it's air will come from between the radiator and the top of the nosecone, so hopefully it won't be too hot. I may add a bit of sheet ali to block the hot air from the radiator from getting up to the filter. It looks like it will get some ram effect.

ECR's is similar although there are some minor differences. Mainly in that he moved the header tank to the bulkhead and used a longer section of ducting to the cone and has it positioned more centrally. The differences in fitting are mainly because he has Jenvey throttle bodies. The box sits a bit nearer the engine with these. At Steve Greenaulds, the dyno showed power gains in midrange, but power loss at the top. Subjectively, he said it felt no different. Maybe because of ram effect?

Anyway, I'm very pleased with it (although I haven't driven with it yet). I think it'll help keep me on track for now. Will try and find out what noise levels my car reach at Rockingham and report back.

Edited by - Alex Wong on 18 Sep 2007 09:01:26

I know it's a nescessary evil, but these things really spoil the lines of the car no matter how tidy the install. Just MHO as you ask and I fully understand the need.

I like the Duratec thread with thoughts about big (ish) power from a single throttle body. The way noise restrictions are going I'd be thinking along these lines in the future.

Steve

See My Caterham Fireblade Here.

Neat installation. *thumbup*As Steve says these things do spoil the lines of the car. I've gone for a DITP airbox. It's huge but once you've acknowledged that you have to have a carbuncle.......................

The advantage of your system is being able to change back to an ITG - For me to do that requires a change of backplate & hence removing the trumpets. 15 minutes rather than 1.

Knowhere to put the air feed.

A NACA duct in the nosecone would sort that - something I'd have done anyhow as the air will be bl00dy hot under there where the intake is currently located. Some may see a NACA duct as ugly, but so what.

Depending on how the injection works, there could be more issues than just a power drop if you're using an IAT sensor that isn't picking up the real temp of that hot inlet air (assuming you have an IAT sensor). If you do, I'd put the IAT sensor in the NACA duct away from engine heat soak. A well cited NACA duct may actually give a little ram effect at very high speeds as well.

The advantage of your system is being able to change back to an ITG

If the hot inlet air issue is addressed and top end power restored, there's no need to change back to a standard filter so surely it doesn't matter how long it takes to swap back *confused*

It is a necessary evil. The number of circuits I can use the car on is decreasing every year.

Adam, I have thought about putting a NACA duct into the nosecone. If I paint it body colour, I think it'll look ok. Maybe even some mesh over it to help keep the outline intact. I don't think I'd seal it to the air filter, just direct it to the airfilter so it gets cool air when I'm moving. The Temp sensor is in the airbox so should reflect the temp of the air coming into the box.

Chaos, I think ECR may be going DTH and will be looking to see if this kit will fit - I think it will, though you'll have to move the header tank.

Gambo - I did realise this would exclude any possibility of inboard suspension but you may be able to duct around it to a NACA duct or similar

will be bl00dy hot under there where the intake is currently located.

I think not. I've got a spare SPA temp sensor mounted on the airfilter for the Bernard Scouse airbox. On the move, the temps are very reasonable - it's only really in traffic etc. that they start to rocket.

A splitter-plate will clearly help - I made one out of that corrugated plastic that they use for estate-agent signs etc.

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Equipe™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

• 1 month later...

Alex,

Also better late than never (well, so she says). I like the idea of being able to switch easily between sausage filter and airbox. That way you could just fit it on trackdays, and in that case, maybe looks arent so crucial. Is there a distinct noise advantage to shrouding the intake inside the bonnet rather than along the outside I wonder?

Yes, please do post a noise meter comparison when you get it.

It would be interesting to compare the power runs and the difference in maps. Are you getting a seperate ECU setup for both?

Andy.

ECR said once I'd fitted it, I wouldn't take it off and I think he's right. The car subjectively feels no different. It is definitely quieter and it's a different noise now. The main noise I hear is the deep exhaust noise and the tappets in the engine - it sounds more tappety with the box on. The rasp of induction roar is definitely subdued by the box.

Unfortunately I didn't make it to Rockingham having had the rather too exciting birth of my second daughter recently.

I'm pleased with it. I did have to trim away a bit more of the bonnet to get it to fit but the actual car outline is little different than with the ITG filter. I'm sure getting the box into the bonnet would help but is not really possible on a Vx.

getting the box into the bonnet would help but is not really possible on a Vx
Right - I was actually thinking the other way - have the intake on the outside rather than feeding back down under the bonnet.

Mind you - its now perfectly positioned for that supercharger upgrade