Click here if you are having website access problems ×

de Dion tube NOW ON ORDER

Guy Lowe

For a 1990 chassis, its the old type which has two separate links to the centre buttress not a full A frame. These links connect to the tube's buttress which is the narrow type with a single bolt and two Y16 bushes. I think it's part number 79016 - De Dion Tube - Narrow Buttress

Genuine reason for quick purchase here

Guy SB Lowe o *arrowup*o *smokin*

The ZETEC is now running here

Edited by - guy lowe on 2 Oct 2007 16:22:43

Dave

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think the following is needed:-

The two cross braces would need to be removed and replaced with shorter one's to allow for the wider 'Buttress' on the post 94 tube, and a new A frame would also be required.

The shock mounts are also different on the new tube so they and the springs may need to be changed, not sure about the trailing arm brackets, they look the same.

So that does no look like an option. ☹️

I can tell you that non of the standard caterham A frames fit these chassis as the brackets are too far apart on the lower chassis, so you would need either a custom A-frame or the mounts moved.

Edited to add:

I have one of these chassis as well, and want to change tubes sometime in the future, does this mean that there are non of our tube type in stock, or that there aren't going to be anymore made, and that we will need chassis mods to be able to retube our cars?

Edited by - Molecular--Bob on 18 Sep 2007 13:14:28

does this mean that there are non of our tube type in stock, or that there aren't going to be anymore made,
Bob

Bruce tells me that CC have recently placed an order with Arch for a small number of these tubes so they will be available some time in the future. My urgency is because I promised Andrew Winfer that I would have my car at LegoLand this Sunday and I would like to attend the LTB Sausage day in November, besides the sun is shining outside 😬

Guy,

is this the de-dion tube with thru the tube shocker mountings?

I've got an 87 de-dion which I am stripping down for overhauling (though didn't plan on taking the de-dion tube off quite just yet).

My description of the de-dion to "A"-frame attachment would be -

A frame has a bit sticking out the back of it. De-dion has TWO triangular bits coming out the bottom with the bit of A-frame trapped between them (with 2 * Y16's as you say).

It definitely looks nothing like the one on the '97 car.

Tube is :- a/. currently on the car, b/. in need of some loving care and attention (though not cracked or bent *tongue*, and c/. (which might be the killer) located in North Shropshire

I'm working all week - however I could possibly remove tonight if I can persuade #1 son that his life depends on it.

Pls call me SOON / TONIGHTon 01691 679351 if this of interest.

Dave.

X-flow(er) power now resting. Trying Vx for a change.

Edited by - DaveMorris on 18 Sep 2007 20:28:10

Guy, according to the 64 page product breakdown report that came in one of the boxes that I collected in 1990 , part number for de-dion tube-1990 spec. is 79018.

Have you found out why your tube has broken? Have you seen evidence of contact between the tube & lower chassis rail? I ask because I have a pair of new spax rear shocks of allegedly correct specification that were too long and required shortening to stop the tube fouling on the lower rails. *mad* *cry*

Brian.

Brian

No there is no evidence of contact between the tube and the lower rails. I have not removed the tube yet as I am taking the car to Amazing Machines at Legoland this weekend (on a trailer ☹️) so I do not know what caused the failure and probably never will. However it is 16 years old and I did drive quite hard at Hethel on Sunday *wink*

The tube has split/fractured and the weld is still in tact see here.

According to the Caterham price list part number 79018 is a De Dion Tube (90-94) but there is no price, part number 79016 is a De Dion Tube - Narrow Buttress (90-93)

@ £181.51, thats why I believe the latter is correct *idea*

Guy,

the offer is still there. I'm not going to need my tube for a while.

I won't have this car back on the road this side of X-mas (if I'm lucky !!!) I am currently only at the "stripping it down for painting" stage. The amount of time I'm getting free to work on it at present is laughable - so it might be spring 2009 when it gets back on the road *eek*

Dave.

X-flow(er) power now resting. Trying Vx for a change.