Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Noise Levels on Fireblade engined 7

prince rupert

My original un-repackable exhaust at 3 years old was 109 *eek* Up to that point the only track days that I had done were in France on Le Sept where they aren't/weren't too bothered

Hence replacing it with a Good Fabrications one 2 years ago, which is around 98db *thumbup*

FireBlade pilot and Regalia Manager

• 2 years later...

HI all - Thought I'd tag this on an old thread...

Failed a noise test at a track day last Friday:

100-102db @ 6,000 static 😔

Exhaust is (i think) a standard non packable exhaust - Any recommendations on what exhaust to go for?

Don't want the new exhaust to cause me problems when I take the car to JW for 'MOT'

Ta!

Hello. I too am looking at "upgrading" my Blade exhaust. I need to fit a cat in the system in order to comply with the MSA reg's and allow me to dabble in the Speed Championship this year.

I sent James Whiting an email last night about this and he pointed me in the direction of Good Fab's as well. Their exhausts look well made and are supposed to significantly reduce noise. However, the cans with integral cat's fitted look massive, to the extent that I bet a fair bit my exhaust primaries would need chopping to fit. I don’t much fancy butchering my exhaust primaries as I am sure they are of an optimal design!!

Any Blade/Bird/Busa owners got any experience of fitting an exhaust with an integral cat? I believe Powerspeed might be able to engineer a solution but these guys are a fair old drive from mine. Reluctant to fit something that will sap power and require a re-tune but I bought the car to do sprint so I guess what is needed is needed!

Edited by - Blue-Lines on 15 Mar 2010 18:56:36

Hi Blue-Lines,

As you can see from my earlier post, I had Good Fabs make my new 'blade [non cat] silencer for me. Since then, I have had Powerspeed make a silencer [with cat] for my 'busa [along with the full rear exit system actually].

Both are great but.....

Good Fabs use a very simple and clever coupling at the primaries end, which allows you to offer up the silencer from the side [you only need around 20mm horizontally to play with] *idea* It is rather like two large washers, one with a raised ring and the other with a rebate; once slipped together they clamp in place. This means that Good Fabs can make a longer silencer before they need to consider cutting the primaries [i.e. the flared ends are not required] *thumbup* Does that help *confused*

James

Edited by - Atinod on 15 Mar 2010 20:31:11

Atinod, thanks for the info. Less than 90db, dont want my car to sound too much like a buzzing hairdryer 😬

Chazsnell, I have had a dig through the forums and I believe a previous Blade owner has fitted a Good Fab's exhaust with an integral cat. I will drop him an email to hear what his thoughts/experience was re: tuning etc.

My standard Caterham fireblade silencer ( i think its the same spec as a blackbird) was measured at 104 dB at snetterton... I popped and saw Ammo he measured it up and made me a Nice Titanium Raceco one and I was noise tested at Bedford at 91.7 dB I'm very happy with it... the only problem is now the car is quieter you hear other noises like the Diff!

'Pinky Pics' here

incar vids

I have a (large) Raceco one on my Fireblade - and it's great.

Still loads of engine noise inside the car - but it's very quiet outside - you really notice it on videos, it's one of the quietest cars on the track.

Sorry, no idea about measurements - they don't seem to bother with them at Knockhill - but I'd be pretty confident to go to most tracks with it.

Regs regarding CAT do not state that it must be fitted in exhaust path. At a sprint last year I saw one competitor fit one to his roll bar in order to comply.

No remapping was required *wink*.

Anyway, an intergrated one in the silencer would be your best option, re-mapping on a rolling road would be a good idea to minimise losses..

Rob