Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Dropped valve?

caterhamnut

Angus,

I've been blocking the throttle pedal so that it could only move to a certain load site of the map - used a laptop for checking that. Then I've been logging revs / lambda and listening to the engine with a knock sensor, which works as a microphone through an amplifier in a headset like a Peltor intercom.

If I heard anything near detonation (sp? - knocking) I backed of the pre-ignition a bit and tried again.

By looking at the output of the lambda sensor, I could see where the engine was running rich or lean and adjust the load site to fix this. At low revs / low load I've let it run a bit lean, at high load / revs it runs around lambda 0,85 which is where you get most torque and and it cools the valves etc well. Not an one-hour job, but in fact it's just adaptive mapping done manually.

Hope it makes sense.

Regards

Regin

Cool!

Off to Steve's it is then........ 😬

[thanks for the explanation RJ - something I'm keen to learn about in the future, depths of the Emerald etc, but I think this time as the map is pretty close, I'll nip over to The Steves and have a quick check *smile*]

www.mycaterham.com

here

Videos

here

101,000 miles car

Back on the road again!

Thanks to Jason for fixing the engine - sooo lucky to only need some new valves and a bit of cleaning up. Timing has been tweaked as we are running with DTB's now.

Hopefully this will stop the same thing happening again in the future:

here

Big thanks to Mark for hosting the broken down car - we re-fitted the engine this evening, and have just driven back home Reading-Godalming with no problems. Can't wait to get the engine mapped properly (needs checking and tweaking I think) 'cos its going to be a blinder.

Cannot believe how well the engine went in and back onto the gearbox - we lowered it into the engine bay, let it swing back pretty much on its own and it just popped back directly onto the gearbox - that little job has taken what seems like hours before now, where something has just decided not to line up (although an input shaft that was too long was the culprit on one occasion a while back - doh!)

www.mycaterham.com

here

Videos

here

101,000 miles car

Edited by - angus&tessa on 20 Sep 2007 23:34:28

Nice professional looking wire locking Angus - who's got a pair of wire twisters then 😬

BRG Brooklands SV 😬 It seems that perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

who's got a pair of wire twisters then

Mark, probably! *wink* 😬

Glad you are sorted Angus. *thumbup* That must be one of the quickest 'disaster to happy bunny' stories relating to engine probs in a 7 ever. *cool*

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

Edited by - Brent Chiswick on 21 Sep 2007 08:13:29