Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Petrol smell - just filled up

db

I had a similar problem - it turned out to be a hairline crack around the weld of the breather outlet on the top of the fuel tank. When the tank was full it would stink the car out with the smell of petrol. As the level went down it would only re-occur when going around corners.

As a temporary measure I used some seal over the crack and it worked pretty well. Ultimately the tank needs to be repaired properly.

Mike

Bizarre!

Anyway. Now taken the sender plate off & removed what's left of the gasket *eek*

Definately perished rather than overtightened. If anything the bolts were on the loose side. Not sure that there's enough of it left to gunge up!

Anyone know if tyre inner tubes are fuel resistant? *cool*

Can I just cut up one of them to get me to Dartford??

Keith

C4TTT

Edited by - Keith Henson on 13 Sep 2007 11:44:02

Even more Bizarre *rolleyes* now I am truly confused *confused*

Just been to Halfrauds & their Hylomar Blue says it IS to be used in all fuel applications !!!!!!!

However, also been told that most inadvisable to use cut up inner tubes so I guess I either try to repair / use what I have or leg it to CC for te pukka article.

Ho Hum.

Thanks all.

Keith

C4TTT

• 5 weeks later...

The power of the Blatchat search facility *smile*

I have just had this problem but I thought it was the filler tube as it only happens when I fill up, as witnessed after the ReHaBers fill up in Norwich *eek*.

Took the boot floor out and filled to the brim with a can and OMG, bl 😳 😳dy petrol pi$$ing out of the sender. I replaced the gasket when I rebuilt the car but with an "earlier cork jobbie", well THIS is what it looks like after 3 years *redface*.

Took all the above advice i.e. James Whiting £2.98 - Blue Hylomar - seal around threads - wasn't tempted to over tighten etc. etc. filled to the top of the filler neck last night, dry as a bone this morning.

Thank you all, now going out for a Blat

Guy SB Lowe o *arrowup*o *smokin*

The new de Dion tube is now fitted here

You sure you didn't use kebab meat, looks exactly like something i ate last Friday
Ah.... I thought the the gaslet had Red Hermetite on it, perhaps that was chilli sauce

db - It is a very simple job, I'm sure you could do it yourself, took me about half an hour and most of that was messing about trying to stop bits of the old gasket falling in the tank *smile*

Guy SB Lowe o *arrowup*o *smokin*

The new de Dion tube is now fitted here

Guy - never underestimate how hard I can find this stuff. If it's a simple job, then I'm sure it won't take James very long. I can understand this stuff, but given half an hour, I'm better at doing something else... With no garage, no tools, very little patience and a slope to work on, it takes me half an hour to change a lightbulb.

My ... Preciousss!