Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Brake Pedal Travel on 8v Vx Classic

jp7

Hi all, just finished helping my brother put together his new Vauxhall Classic. He noticed that the brake pedal needs to be pushed down around 2" before the brakes start to bite. My Dedion needs only around 1". Is it a function of the brakes on the classic or have we done something wrong?

Cheers

Andy

On my live axle 1987 car with standard-for-that-time master cylinder, there is about an inch of travel before anything happens. I believe from earlier blatchat threads that this is normal.

Other likely reasons for travel include:

- You haven't adjusted the rear brakes correctly. I was taught to do this by tightening the rear adjusters until the wheel is solidly locked then backing off until the wheel turns freely.

- The front pads are being knocked off the disks or are withdrawing. You can find that the pads withdraw back into the caliper when you release the brakes because of the pull of the rubber seals. You can see this if you take the wheel off and get someone to press the brake while you look at the movement of the pads. When they release the brake, do the pads move back into the pistons? A movement of just a millimetre or so at the pads translates to quite a lot of movement at the pedal. The answer here is to remove the pads and press out the pistons a bit further with the brake pedal (make sure you don't pop the pistons out of the caliper). Then press the pistons back into the caliper until there is *just* enough room to squeeze the pads back in very tightly. You should then hear the pads just lightly scraping against the disk when you spin the wheel, but the wheel should turn freely.

Air in the system will give a different pedal feel to badly adjusted brakes. Can't describe it, though.

Anthony

the mistake most people make is not to slacken the hand brake cable of FIRST

take the adjustment right of on the cable then adjust the drums then cable last.

you can test this before you do anything pull on hand brake thenn press pedal

if it is beter with the hand brake on then your prob is in the rear

fredid=blue> biggrin.gif

Andy

I remember from having my Ital axle car the frustration of trying to get a good pedal but after many diff changes I discovered a simple routine (for my car). After working on the axle and bleeding the brakes the pedal was always low and a bit soft but re-bleeding made little or no difference, the brakes did work though. I then took the car out on short drive, only about 10 miles and then re-bleed brakes, the pedal would then return to its original height and feel. Never asked why but it always worked for me, it saved many a litre of wasted fluid for no pedal improvement. I always used a Gunsons pressure bleeding device (the one that uses a tyre as a pressure vessel). I second the comments re the handbrake and brake adjustment.

Paul

Cheers, i've just pushed the pedal with the handbrake pulled on a little bit and the pedal is a lot firmer, with not much travel. I suppose thats the problem. Are you saying that its best to disconnect the handbrake first, then bleed the brakes?

Andy