Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Helmets

c7kjt

Kevin,

If it's got BSI Type A approval (your retailer will tell you), then an RAC sticker is all you then need - I think you can get that on-the-day of a sprint or whatever from an RACMSA official, and it'll cost a quid or two [i think, can somebody confirm?].

Don't just trust someone to recommended a make. Make sure you have a proper fitting - good bike shops will do one. They'll put on one your head and then pull it about, try to lift you up by it, check your nose won't crack against the view-hole in an accident, and all that sort of thing.

Decide how much you've got to spend, go to a shop with loads of stock and get a trained member of staff to do a fiting for you. Then buy the best fitting that lid you can afford.

I would reccomend you buy the best you can afford as you will only need it once for it to become good value !! . The SNELL standard is a higher standard than the BSI and covers areas such as higher load impacts and compression , also the SNELL board of approval doesnt contain any manufacturers , unlike the BSI appproval board .

When you present your car , overalls and helmut to the scrutineer he will take a pound from you for a " approved for motor sport " sticker .

The following are acceptable:

SNELL SA 95

SFI Foundation 31.1, 31.2

BS 6658 Type A/FR

BS 6658-85 Type A - may be deleted from 1/1/2001 (although a friend who asked the MSA about this recently was told that it was more likely to be 2002 or 2003, so it's worth checking).

BS 6658-85 Type B is not acceptable.

Mike