Click here if you are having website access problems ×

VX - Foam Baffle replacement.

ian balson

Yup 2. Prised off the sump.. that ruined one.

Had slight leak (bound to be the windage to block) prised that off.. ruined the 2nd one.

You can get away with only the lower one if it's stuck and you cut around it with a sharp knife and then clean off the stuck on bits...

I'd buy 2 anyway.

Just a tip here, cos I have recently had the sump off twice.

Once you have taken the sump, oil pickup pipe and windage plate off make sure that the mating surfaces are absolutely clean and dry.

As well as replacing the foam and gaskets, make sure you replace the "O" ring seal on the oil pickup pipe.

Before offering up the first gasket and windage plate, put just a smear of high temp silicone sealant over joints between the rear crank end-cap and the block (just in front of the flywheel) and the same over the joints between the oil pump housing and the block (right at the front of the engine). The rest of the mating surfaces should go up dry.

You will need two pairs of hands to get the sump back up as it's a bit fiddly to hold the sump and make sure that the bolts go through both gaskets and the windage plate

Initially just nip up the the vertical bolts (use thread-lock on all these bolts) so that the gaskets are held firm. Then nip up the two large cap-head bolts that come through the bell housing to make sure that the sump is located fully backwards against the bell housing. Then in a round-robin fashion gradually tighten all the vertical bolts until firm. Finally, tighten the two large bolts through the bell housing.

This method (so far) has given me a non-leaking sump.

Steve Mell

PTM 88