Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Possibly a dumb question - what kind of Seven for sprinting?

Neil_K

Hi all,

I've been reading through the pages here as I'm want to try my hand at some speed events. Apologies if this is a really dense question, but I have a rather spotless and shiney 1.8VVC Roadsport, complete with all the road going niceties (and no LSD *rolleyes*). Is this an inappropriate Seven to compete in events with? Should I look to procure a more 'focused' Seven for this purpose? I know there is a 'Road Going' class but is this still made up of Superlights etc?

Cheers for any thoughts,

N

Rob, slight correction standard 1.8 VVC if with 5 spd gearbox is allowed in class 2 and 3. And is quite possibly the engine of choice for those classes!

If you have a 6 speed box, or have tweaked the engine at all (ie new ecu, ported head) then you are in class 4, or 5 if over 190 bhp.

I competed in my first year with 140 x-power SV roadsport in class 2 and had great fun, so just go for it! The driver will be the limiting factor in your first year (and following 5!!) rather than the car.

Just make sure you have an 'FIA' or 'TRACKDAY' roll bar as a minimum spec. The std roll bar with no diagonal bracing is not suitable.

Just turn up (with MSA lic and other bits & pieces as required) and have a go. Modify later if you want to *thumbup*

If you want to enter the novice championship, then make sure you don't do any events / get a licencse this year...

Thanks Chaps, am not looking to do anything this year.

Mark - I should be at the next Surrey meet. I'm usually there, just obviously not crossed paths with you! (or have but not realised). Am also at the 50th so will try and get along to Hethel. I also have a FIA rollbar as well as other 'sensible' items such as apollo *thumbup*

I'm a willing pair of free hands if anyone wants tyre kicking help at any up-coming Southern events, just let me know. *smile*