Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Real Difference between 1.4kss and 1.8k standard

1400rs_0of30

I will be upgrading to 1.8k sometime, but want to know do i need to upgrade to 1.8k and TBs to notice any real difference.

What im concerned is that i'll spend out on an engine & ECU (probably gonna cost around £2000) and not notice and difference to my 130 bhp 1.4k

Also, should I upgrade my type 9 box at the same time, i cant afford the 6 speed or alternatives around the 2000 mark, so Dave Andrews recommended the Rocket 5. Could I do this another time ?

Thanks

Sean

The original 1400 K Series Roadsport Prototype

My Caterham Website

Hi, i've just changed my 1.4ss to a 1.8. Its one of the best things i've ever done. I got hold of an engine from a breakers for around 800, transfered everything across, wiring loom(with a little modification), flywheel, starter motor, alternator etc etc and bought an Emerald ECU. I'm using W111 FLY's map, which gives around 130bhp and 130 lbs ft of torque. I also put a dry sump and LSD in at the same time. The cost was around 4000, of which the ds/lsd was 2500.

The transformation is amazing. No longer do you have to wait for the revs to build past 5000 before it gets going, any gear it just goes. I have the benefit of a 6 spd box, but having started out with a 5 spd, i know it will make a huge difference to that setup as well.

Depending on how much your car is worth at the moment and how far you plan to go down the upgrade route, it may pay you to chop it in for another car, however if like me your a sentimental nut and can't stand to part with your car, i say Go for it.

Cheers

Andy