Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Blown Engine Update - I am a Very embarrased numpty....

Mark Adderley

Heh heh heh! 😬

I've just had a similar experience. Since coming back from holiday I'd noticed a misfire on accelerating with the Elise....on anything but a very light throttle, it would be missing on one cylinder.

I'd suspected the return oil from the bypass filter (via a swivel fitting in the oil filler cap) might have got down a valveguide and oiled a plug, so yesterday I pulled off the leads, and found the left, clutch end plug hole was hosting 2" of water!

I'd Gunked the engine and washed it with a hose just before leaving on holiday...... *redface* *redface*

Worked fine after a good blow out with compressed air....

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds..ooooh hooo hooo!!...

😬 😬Abbey Road Time-Machine *eek* *eek*

• Leadership Team

Wow Mark, that was a cheap repair then! Now you can spend the winter planning the conversion properly 😬

Ok, so we're looking for a 1400SS (that'll be at a guess registered between 1991 & 1996) with 51,000 miles showing! Surely someone can post a photo post 50th weekend just to add to the shame *tongue*

Stu.

www.superse7ens.co.uk..........the rebuild 😬

This is probably more common than you think, I "lost" a plug on my old Fiat years ago on the M4..... found it months later wedged in at the bottom of the engine

Glad you're back up and running! *thumbup* *thumbup*

Matt

Edited by - MattC on 6 Sep 2007 21:24:32

One side effect of the various posts is that it's got my mind focussed on an upgrade at a later stage *smile* Hmmm - 1800SS........ 😬

Haven't mentioned this to the finance committee yet - biding my time!

Perhaps someone could take a shot of me holding the offending plug at the show? Maybe with a placard behind me saying 'Stupid boy'?!

Oh how we laughed.....

Cheers

Mark

1400 SS - 51k........ and counting again!!

FWIW I had the same experience in my first car (old Renault 5) at 17 having just rebuilt it and got it through an MOT. I had driven it quite *rolleyes* hard to celebrate and then, on the way home, there was a big bang, loss of power, horrible rattly noises. *mad* 🙆🏻 ☹️

Couldn't beleive the timing of it and was sure I had buzzed the engine through inexperience or something - even got as far as calling my Dad to come and tow me back (pre-mobiles, so a case of knocking on doors).

Only then did I look under the bonnet and notice no.4 plug had come out and was banging on the bonnet... 😳

So well done for finind out before it was too late - and admitting to it! 😬

Bob Stark

Supersprinter

Mark

*smokin*, can't beat the cheap way back on the road. At least you found the problem. Keep planning the upgrade whatever, at least source a good 1.8. I can hide an engine or two for you *wink*

See you soon, but not at Norfolk ☹️ Off to the Worlds smallest 50th bash (2 Se7ens 😬 and a 41st Birthday) followed by Megablat on Sunday. Have fun in Norwich all *wavey*

1.4K SS 😬 Just smiling *smile*