Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Blown Engine Update - I am a Very embarrased numpty....

Mark Adderley

Houston - we have a problem ☹️

Engine had been sounding a bit 'tappetty' over the last few days - put in some Wynn's hydraulic valve cleaner and went for a short run - only travelled about 5 miles or so (all below 5k rpm) when there wasa loss of power, sound of metal on metal, plus what looked like black mist sneezing out of the air filter. In no mechanic, but it didn't sound too good......

Having just spent the last 2hrs sitting in a field near Ampleforth, I pondered over a number of options & wondered if the collective powers of blatchat could offer some words of wisdom?

- any thoughts on what it's likely to be?

- what's a 'ball-park' cost of a rebuild?

- am I better rebuilding the engine, or replacing it?

Feeling a bit flat at the moment - any suggestions greatly appreciated! If you see a glum looking bloke turning up at the 50th Celebration in a silver Octavia Diesel, please don't point and snigger - I may cry!!!

Cheers

Mark (51k and not doing many more for the forseeable future).

1400 SS - 51k and counting......

Edited by - Mark Adderley on 6 Sep 2007 18:30:33

• Leadership Team

It does sound as though you may have dropped a valve for whatever reason. If there's pistons damage, then possibly time to go to 1800? Unless you have a real desire to stick to the 1400 unit, the money is probably better spent on a pucka 1800 motor and doing the conversion.

Stu.

www.superse7ens.co.uk..........the rebuild 😬

Commiserations Mark ☹️

I guess as others have saidm if there's any silver lining to be seen it's that you have the chance to upgrade, or at least *fairly* cheaply replace it, bearing in mind that the ancillaries will be transferable - plus you've got winter rather than summer months looming.

Best of luck with however you decide to proceed *thumbup*

Darren E

Website and Emerald maps library

Superlight R #54

Mark,

I blew my 1400ss up earlier this year, So know exactly how you feel.

I went for the 1800 upgrade and I could not be happier 😬

I got an ex Elise engine on Ebay a few Evening and Weekends worth of work a lot of reading up on here and I now have the car I should have brought in the first place. 😬

Jas.

I think anything more serious than a head gasket is an excuse to replace the engine, especially after 51k when you might expect a bit of wear. Pull the head and have a look, you have little to lose. Get a 1.6/1.8 for £not much, fit the Caterham bits and off you go.

Alternatively there are plenty that pop up here for pocket money, ready to drop in. I heard of a 1.6 kss for £500 or so.

Mark, commiserations. I have an appointment with the dentist (read mechanic) tonight to see if we can explain the horrible noises emananting from my engine. Otherwise I may be joining you in the 'seriously uncool' line at Norfolk. If I do get it sorted I have a spare passenger seat if you're interested. I also need to speak to Steve Brown about the possibility of meeting up for the trip down.

Hi Guys

Thanks to all of you who've offered advice/support/muscle via both email and blatchat - I really appreciate it *thumbup* Only just got home from work and seeing all the replies made me a little emotional!

It'll probably be a couple of weeks before I get to take a look at the damage, so that gives me plent of time to consider the options. Favourite at the moment is going for an 1800 - I don't know yet whether I'll be able to use the SS cams etc. Can anyone tell me if there's much difference in performace between a 1.4SS, a 1.8 and a 1.8SS?

Tyrone - thanks for the offer of a spare seat - I'm actually travelling down with SHMBO, but it was a kind offer. Hope you get sorted and you're not forced to use the uncool car park (maybe I'll gaffa-tape the nose cone to the Skoda 😬).

Will keep you posted - thanks again!

Mark

1400 SS - 51k and counting......

Hi Mark,

For the conversion from 1400ss to 1800ss.

put the 1400ss Cams into the 1800ss.

Use the 1400 Flywheel (as the timing teeth are different on the 1800)

Use the nice Ali inlet plenium from the 1400

Swap the Blue 1400 injectors for the cream 1800.

Use the 1400ss ECU

Depending on where you got the engine from you may need to grind some webbing off the side of the engine to get the started motor to fit.

And I think that is pretty much it.

Another members website here helps explain a lot.

Hope that helps.

Jason.

OMFG - The shame I am about to admit to *redface* *redface*

Thought I'd have a look at the head - took off the plate that covers the spark plugs and went to remove the first one..........to find it wasn't screwed in *redface*

The tapping noise wasn't the tappets - I think it must have been the electrode sparking because the plug was coming unscrewed? The sound of sucking from the engine which I assumed was a blown piston was because the plug must have blown out (which corresponds with the sudden loss of power. What a relief, but oh, the shame!

The good news is that I can drive down to Norfolk in the 7 😬 Instead of a glum looking bloke, I'll be the one looking ever so slightly sheepish *smile*

Thanks for all the support - I'm expecting it will be followed up by a healthy dose of scorn and derision - and rishtly so 😬 Sorry to have messed anyone about.

Cheers

Mark

1400 SS - 51k........ and staying there 'cos the engine's gone crunch! :-(