Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Brakes (not fade)

Graham Sewell

Probably like a lot of city dwellers, my car's brakes don't get used much until they get into the country. At this point, the first time I try to brake hard they don't do much - I don't think it is pad knock off, as the same would happen consistently if I am only braking every mile or so for severe corners.

It feels more as if there is some'glaze' that needs to be removed before they work -or else it could be just heat (probably not for the same reason as pad knock off).

Any ideas on cause or solution (other than doing a couple of emergency stops from 60mph on a clear road - a waste of opportunity).

Cheers,

Graham

I was less that impressed with my brakes. I was advised me to try new pads, then lightly rub the discs with emery cloth to take the glaze off.

I fitted some pagit pads and carried out the remedial action. The brakes are a lot better now. Failing that, change the front brakes to 4 pots if you don't already have them fitted.

Rgds, Robert

When I had problems in the braking department, I spoke with Roy Lane of Techcraft Ltd of Warwick, the well known hill climb master.

He sold me some very soft Mintex pads M1122 which helped but told me that it was important to de-glaze the discs.

I was recommended to attack the discs with wet and dry paper and parafin to really cut into the surface to ensure that the surface was well and truly clean.

Messy job but it seemed to do the trick. I think that too much town work has glazed them again and I am about to repeat the de-glaze.

Maybe worth trying...........

Andrew.

Hi Graham - how's life?

My car suffered exactly the same problem when I first bought it. The front pads were so glazed they were almost shiney, so I ditched them and installed EBC Greenstuff Roadsport Compound pads (http://ebc-brakes.com/autopads.htm)available from Jimmy the Fish. I have the standard (2-pot Triumph) calipers and they work a treat - unlike most other 7 drivers, my car doesn't seem to suffer from front lock-up (maybe I'm STILL not pushing hard enough... ;-), and whilst a little 'dusty', I'm really pleased with them - circuits, too. And not expensive at all.

Good luck,

Pierson

pierson.broome@bt.com

Graham - I only did the fronts for the same reason - most braking is on the front. I have drums on the rear, and don't even know if EBC do an equivalent shoe (but I very much doubt it!!).

Mike - Only kidding - I don't really hate you, it's just green-eyed jealousy, pure & simple! ;-)

Pierson

pierson.broome@bt.com

Just in case anyone is interested, EBC do do GreenStuff shoes. Infact, even if GreenStuff is not listed for any particular pad/shoe, they can still produce them. It just might take a little while for them to come through. However, they do list GreenStuff for the Ital (I assume that is where the drums come from as that's where the axle comes from...or am I just being over simplistic).

I've already played this game. Yes EBC greens are better than standard and good value but Hawke pads are a lot better still, but not such good value, at £40 ish for the front set. These pads give the best brakes I've been able to find short of £500 worth of big calipers.

Fitted the Green Stuff over the weekend. Reading through the blurb, they 'guarantee' that they won't squeal - so I omitted the anti-squeal shims. This seemed OK for the first 100 miles then the brakes squealed like a pig for the remainder of the journey.

So, are the squeal shims needed, or did I foul up somewhere else? Other snippet, to get the pads into the calipers I had to remove the thick layer of paint on the edges of the pads - which was replaced with a thin layer of CoppaSlip.

In terms of braking power, the first application on the road felt like an emergency stop as I locked the front wheels - whoops:-)

Cheers,

Graham

I _THINK_ that they garantee the "non squeal" buy putting on thick paint. I.e. this wares off, rather than there being just metal on metal. Could you not open the calipers any wider? Otherwise, use lots of copper slip. I once (on a different car) forgot to put any copper slip on. All was fine until the paint was rubbed right off. Realise what I had done, I then applied lots of copper slip. However, they still tended to make lots of noise. In the end I gave up and bought some new pads. Remembered to put the copper slip on to start with and everything was fine again.

In summary, don't take the paint off and use copper slip.

Of course I'm probably wrong, but oh well, ho hum, hey dip sugar, it works for me...