Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Does this sound like a Starter or Solenoid on its way out ?

philwaters

Hi guys,

Having thought that the starting problem on my Zetec was sussed, and fixed with a brand spanking, and expensive, battery, I came to start the car on Friday morning for a drive down to Devon and had the same syptoms again.

My trust of the car quickly evaporating I did the trip in the tin-top and tried to think of the problem all the 3hr trip there.

Basically the car has loads of power to the ignition, nice bright bulbs, etc, but when the key/button is turned I get nothing (not even an attempt to turn over), although the dash lights stay on. The previous evening the car started without any hesitation 4 times. I am getting charging voltage when it is running, so the alternator is fine.

As I had parked over night at the better halfs I was stuck with the tin-top at my place and the non-starting 7 in hers. I decided to try jumping it off of her car and it started fine, with a slight hesitation to start turning, but then got going and was fine. I then managed to forget to put the fuel pump fuse back in (I removed to give the starter as much current as I could) and of course it stopped while I was putting away the jump leads. Fuse plugged back in and it started on its own battery fine.

Dumped it back in my garage and then went away. Sunday morning I went out to have a look and of course it started first time again.

I have proven the car electrics are ok as I am able to by-pass the Vecta which I know is fine, and Steve F and I had run a new power lead to again prove it was not this. With both new wires we were getting the same symptoms.

So, after a long ramble.... Does this sound like a Starter or Solenoid on its way out - maybe been cooked by my exhaust - or just old. It is the original from the X/flow and is stamped as 1996, the year I got the car. I have a Ferry leaving for Spain on Saturday (4th) and really want to take the 7 so want to know if a new one will sort it out, time is running short.

Any Ideas welcome!! Please!! :-))

Phil 'there goes yet more strands of hair' Waters

Phil,

It sounds like the solenoid is on its way out. A new one should be obtainable from an autoeletrician, and not difficult to fit. Not sure how you can prove thats the problem though...intermittent faults are a b****r to sort out.

good luck,

Dave H

When I had a similar problem I shorted the solenoid when in ignition was in the crank position. Lost of sparks but it proved the problem as the engine turned over. Not sure this is a good thing to try but I had to prove the problem one way or the other. I then stripped the solenoid and cleaned it and it worked for a further 2 years. Have now had to replace it as the insulation aged. Think that was the original problem as its right next to the exhaust down pipes.

Small Boy - with Loud Toy!

See Eugene here

and

Lotus@Herts hereid=green>

Sounds like a gummed-up solenoid core (plunger? correct term?) to me. I had a similar problem a few weeks ago after a 200+ mile blat down to the West Country (1.8K). Every time I stopped the engine (or, on one occasion, stalled it -- in heavy traffic, naturally!), I got not a peep from the starter (although the red ignition light did dim as I pressed the button, suggesting that the solenoid circuit was OK). When I got home again, I removed the starter and stripped down the solenoid. The copper core was covered in hard, baked-on gunge, no doubt cooked by the exhaust heat. I cleaned it all off (and the core housing) and regreased with LM. I'ts purred ever since.

JV

Edited by - John Vine on 29 Apr 2002 13:16:48