Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Raceline Zetec water rail

z7

• Area Representative

I've almost finished the fitting of the above but the Ford temp sensor doesn't fit the RL thermostat housing.

1 - What are others using here - blanking plug or another temp sensor? Either way, where can I get it from? I need to have it finished and tested before Dunsfold next week.

2 - Also, same question for the bottom ally pipe - I don't have a heater, so again were can I get a blanking plug?

Of course, I'll try RL on Monday but I need to get this finished.

Cheers

Adil

Hi Adil

Think Auto do adapters to allow diferent threaded sensors to be fitted to the housing.

If you don't have a heater you could run a length of heater hose from the outlet to the inlet. However have a look here for suppliers of blanking caps.

However Pete at RL has been here before & can either supply or point you in the right direction.

Mick

• Area Representative

Hi Mick, Phil,

Thanks for the helpful suggestions. Though, hopefully, RL will have a solution they can post for me to fit on Tuesday.

Cheers

Adil

• Area Representative

Brent, yes it's the one to which my Dunnell ecu is connected. It's the big one fitted in the Ford 'stat housing. I thought it was part of the stat housing assy and so was a Ford part. Could be wrong.

Anyway, I spoke with Chris at RL and we don't think I need it as I have a fan sw in the rad itself.

Guy, I've replied to your latest email. Thanks.

Adil, are you getting confused between the fan switch and the water temperature sender for the ecu? Because you are on carbs, the temp sender to the ecu won't alter the fuelling but the ecu still needs to read the temperature as it changes the timing according to engine temperature.

The fan switch simply turns the fan on when the coolant reaches a pre-set temperature and then off again when it cools, again to a pre-set temperature.

Without wishing to be unkind to Chris, I would try and talk to Peter for a definitive answer if I were you. *wink*

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

Edited by - Brent Chiswick on 4 Sep 2007 10:37:17

• Area Representative

Brent, it's quite possible.

I have three coolant related "sensors" (that I know of):

1 - in the top of the rad next to the top hose inlet - this IIRC is the fan sw,

2 - a small sensor that was in the bottom of the Ford stat housing, and which is now in the end of the RL water rail. I don't know to what this is connected but it is still connected.

3 - a larger sensor that was in the Ford stat housing and to which the ecu was connected. This is the one I tried to fit in the new RL stat housing but which doesn't fit.

I'll try RL again

Cheers

Adil

No 1 is, as you say, the fan switch and nothing to do with the ecu so ignore that.

No 2 is probably the temperature gauge sender. To check, take the connection off and touch it to the engine block or chassis with the ignition on and the temp gauge should rise to maximum.

No 3 is the ecu temperature sender and should still be connected.

Speak to Peter rather than Chris about the correct size of tapping for this. *thumbup*

Apart from the wrong thread size, is this sender too big to go in the water rail or too small?

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

Edited by - Brent Chiswick on 4 Sep 2007 10:38:47

• Area Representative

Hi Brent,

I spoke with Peter and explained my installation and he is going to send me another water rail suitably tapped and bunged. He knew about the sensor to which I was referring and had just done one yesterday. The solution he has is nice and simple, and won't require any extension to my ecu connector - which I though I'd have to do.

So, fingers crossed, tomorrow I shall be back on the road.

Apart from the wrong thread size, is this sender too big to go in the water rail or too small?
The sender/thread is too small.

Cheers

Adil