Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

O/T VW PD engines

millsn

The PD engine was as far as I remember introduced in 2000 here. The 90PS (DIN) was discontinued somewhat later; ISTR the 110PS non PD was made redundant by the 115PS PD.

If it's important I can have a look at the model ranges in VW's spare parts catalouge.

/r

MAK, what is the car she's driving and how is it identified on the rear? e.g. TDI where TDI is silver.

The reason for asking is that the non PD engine is about £1000 cheaper to run on vegetable oil (which is my plan) for which I need to source a long distance car e.g. Passat / Octavia / Golf maybe

On the early cars the "d" in tdi would be red if it was a PD engine, I don't think that's true anymore.

It's easy to see when you look at the engine. If it's got a pump at the front, close to the alternator with tubes connecting to the injectors it's a non-PD.

If no pump, and no injectors to be found it's a PD engine.

James,

That was true for a while, but then the PD 105BHP was introduced to replace the 90BHP. This was badged TDI

But ...

90 and 110 BHP are NON PD. The 90BHP is a standard TDI engine. 110BHP has a variable geometry turbo. So have the 115BHP and up PD engines, dunno about the 105BHP.

/regin