Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What manuals do I need for maintaining a 1995 VXi?

Steve Kirk

I have a 1995 VXi (aka to some as an HPC injection) which I bought second hand. In terms of maintenance I have some past experience and so will take on most jobs as long as I have the relevant info. However I did not inherit the Caterham build manual with the car, so in terms of manuals I only have the small A5 owners manual which doesn't have the details I'm looking for when it comes to maintenance (e.g. no info on how to change rear disks).

Can anyone recommend what manuals I should get? I had in mind perhaps the Caterham build manual (which I've never seen so am not sure how complete it is), or maybe Haynes manuals? Does anyone know which Haynes manuals I would need - I realise that more than one "donor" is involved, I've heard Sierra/Herald/Cortina/Astra all mentioned as possibles, but not sure which models, and whether it's worth getting them all, or whether the Caterham manual covers all the necessary....?

Thanks,

Steve Kirk.

Thanks Paul.

I just called Caterham but apparently the build manuals that they now sell do not cover my car (1995 VXi), and the one that I need is no longer available. They suggest that I find an old one for my car and copy it.

Would anyone be prepared to either sell me an old one that they no longer need, or to lend me one so that I can copy it please?

Steve.

Odd advice from Caterham in that they print Copyright warnings all over them.

I'm pretty sure that the manuals suit all the cars built at the time. Certainly my 94 manual covers all the K Series, Vauxhall & X-flow models made at that time.

Where are you?

Go to a local meet - there's bound to be someone there that will assist you in providing one to copy.

I know a man, who knows a man, who knows a man (repeat indef.) who has the Haynes Vauxhall C20XE engine manual, type 9 gearbox manual and Sierra manual on CD together with Haynes manuals for the most popular cars on sale in Britain in the last 10 years. It includes the Rover K series engine workshop manual amongst others.

He might be persuaded to do you a copy.

Oily

Aves, yes I was a bit surprised too when Caterham said that it was OK to copy one. However I suppose seeing as I was offering to pay for one and they no longer sell the one I need, they're not losing a sale and there's no other practical choice. Very reasonable of them :)

Re the manual covering all cars built at the time - Caterham did specifically say that the new manuals no longer cover the VX2000 models at all (because they're no longer in production I suppose), and that other bits of the car generally have changed quite a bit over time too, so that today's manual has enough differences to my car that it won't be very much use to me.

I'm in central London. Your suggestion about area meetings is a good one although upon checking the list I see that there are none imminent near me. Can anyone help me out with a manual in the meantime? I'd be happy to drive a reasonable distance to fetch it....

Oilyhands, thanks for that lead, I'm trying to get the Caterham manual first then work out where the blanks are that I need to fill in from Haines manuals, I'll email you directly on that.

Steve.