Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

6 sp box speedo drive question

RFC1

Tonight i thought i would re-instate my non working speedo. But i cant understand how the angle drive part should fit onto the gearbox, i see where it should screw onto but on the gearbox there is only a short outlet shaft with a square drive hole in it, looking at the angle drive there is a short square drive inner cable and a large screw on cap but the gearbox has no male threaded part for it to screw onto?? Is something missing ???

Sorry i havent described this better...

any thoughts anyone?

Don't forget the circlip as well.

Also, before fitting it all it is worth checking that the square drive thing in the gearbox is actually connected to the gear on the inside - there have been cases where the gear in the gearbox that drives the speedo drive slides down the shaft a bit and no longer connects with the drive IYSWIM. The way I tested for this is probably not the safest - car on axle stands, in gear with engine running just to see if the square drive thing turns. If not then it is a gearbox out job to fix ☹️

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having trouble with my speedo/angle drive yoke. My 'Top Hat' had a buckled peak and had worked free of the retaining clip. I've managed to straighten it out but can't for the life of me get the the retaining clip back into the slot. Has anyone got a tip for how to do this?

Cheers

Edited because I've just read about circlip pliers that should make the job a hell of a lot easier!

White 1400 SS *cool* here

Edited by - ptpt on 24 Sep 2007 17:20:44