Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Vx - Starter Motor jammed

Matt Sullivan

... in more ways than one.

Hastily trying to start my car, I managed to jam the starter motor (I have a switch instead of the ignition barrel). The motor is standard Bosch.

I'm assuming the dog in the starter motor has jammed against the starter ring. Trying to remove the starter motor to release the dog ..... and can I shift it? I've undone the bracket at the end, and the bolt thro' the bellhousing, and the thing won't shift.

Anyone any ideas ..... as it stands, I'm slightly concerned if I'm ever going to get the thing started again!

Arnie,

I've removed the bolt from the bottom of the starter in to the bellhousing. On the top, in front of the peddle box, it seems to be located on to a thread but without a nut. I assumed this was just for locating as there is no nut, and it seems in an awkward place.

Is this right? Or am I missing something.

Yours, well bloody stuck ....

Matt.

Matt,

There are two holes in the alloy flange, above and below motor body.

If you ahve a stud sticking out of the top one, I can only guess the nut has come off.

I suggest the whacking stick may be needed here!

If you are really brave, you cna disconnect all feeds into the loom from the battery and back of the starter and reverse the polarity which will make the starter run backwards momentarily - Don't suggest you try this unless you are auto electrically competent!

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM siteid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

Some (early?) versions of the Caterham bellhousings had one bolt which came through from the bellhousing side into a threaded hole in the starter motor. Sounds like this is what you have as you can see the end of the thread.

Thanks Nick, you're right.

The top bolt running from the back of the bellhousing in to the starter motor has a countersunk head. The bolt is about 4 inches long with the head directly in front of the driver footwell panel.

HOW THE HELL ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO GET THE BOLT OUT???????

I assume dropping the engine/gearbox is the only solution.

This has to be up there with the battery located under the carbs for ridiculous Vx design features.

Thanks for you help.

Matt.