Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Engine choice

taffyracer

but the downside is that you cant drive it sideways on the throttle

I never seem to find anywhere safe enough or police free enough to ever consider this on the road - I guess the argument is "is sliding the car ever safe on the road" ?

I have good car control skills (in my opinion) but once I'm sliding it would still take much longer to collect it all up and stop the car than if I'm not sliding. In a world where I got pulled up the other day for trimming a corner accross a double white line even though the vision was brilliant I just can't see the sliding thing on the highway any more to be honest?

Also - I have to say that the accessibility of track time has tamed my urges on the road hugely - I think this is the single most important development for road safety for us petrolheads - I'm happy to leave maximum attack for the track nowadays!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see where you're coming from Julian, but find that 230bhp and 175lb ft I have now, compared to the 150bhp K-Series I had before is far better even on the road. Sure it's possible to get carried away if you allow yourself to, but I don't find any problem with feeding-in the throttle as appropriate - I guess it comes down to driving style.

Having the reserve there when required is very useful, but I find I can overtake using whatever throttle is necessary rather than trying to rip the tread off the tyres on every occasion. Perish the thought, but if things go pear shaped I have the option of throttle or brake as appropriate 😬

BRG Brooklands SV 😬 It seems that perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

I obviously am not in the best position to preach as the last 3 7 type cars I have had have been 220bhp, 210bhp and 180bhp ! (Wierd that - I've gone down in horsepower *mad*)

I guess it's just that when you climb into a little superlight or whatever after a monster 7 it just feels so delicate and friendly.

I think that the main thing is just to have fun and take care with whatever you choose *thumbup*

Getting close to making a decision, given that I have to buy everything anyway the costs are high anyway for both the Zetec and Duratec but what I don't have is any idea of K series costs. Can someone give me some idea of the costs for

K series engine circa 160bhp

K series bellhousing

K series loom + ECU

K series engine bits such as decent clutch + flywheel

Would be a huge help to be able to accurately compare all 3 costings

http://www.xlmotorsport....doing really badly in PS1!

Hello Taffy racer. Speaking as another in Cardiff that is in a quandary about engines ( I have a x/flow) I share your pain( 😬).

Do you have a lift for Thursday, give me a bell if you want one and I'll take you up to the Piercefield. 0774 095 7991

Cheery pip.

This one goes up to 11

Recently installed a Zetec from Raceline, really pleased with the results.

I cannot comment on the other engine options but when first looking for a car I wanted a X/flow as it was the most powerful option [135bhp] for my money, nothing wrong with this option and great fun, the best part being the noise.

The thing is that I did not realise the flexibility of the K series engine and how smooth it was compared to the X/flow, so I then wanted a K series.

The X/flow and the K have now become the Zetec, Duratec.

I would in your position go for the Zetec and spend some of the money saved on Throttle bodies rather than carbs, especially if you already have the exhaust hole in the side skin on the passenger side. You will not be disappointed with a Zetec and from what has been said on this forum, you will see 220bhp without spending a fortune.

The Zetec will do over 100mph after getting there easily compared to the X/flow, this makes overtaking smoother between 50mph and 80 plus, I no longer get shown up by Saxo VTR and Clio sport owners on the straight and now I show up Audi TT drivers who try there luck.

All this on the standard 160bhp running twin 40's.

Helping and encouraging others rather than putting them down.

I think the main reason you will not see after market sigma conversions is that you have the added costs of reversed inlet and exhaust compared with the x/flow and K, without the huge advantage of the duratec motor. I would not think the sigma is miles better than the zetec, which is an easier install - hence so popular.

I've thought long and hard about this and done the costs a few times, spoken to raceco, raceline and a few others and considering I have to buy everything anyway, the difference in costs between a 160odd bhp K, a Zetec and Duratec are not that great, so have decided to go Duratec, it's clearly the better option in the long run and its a case of pay now instead of later I fear so will bite the bullet. cheers for all your help *thumbup*

http://www.xlraceparts.com ...doing really badly in PS1!