Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Numpty photo question

Boonie Hound

I will ignore GTD until this evening

"However, I am now tempted to buy a doubler instead of thousands on a new big lens...ideas on a postcard"

Would need to be a big postcard.

A shorter lens and a TC won't give you the kwality of a longer lens (in general) and probably won't be as fast i.e. won't have such a big max (numerically small) apperture so it won't be as good in lower light levels

I've been considering getting a 2nd hand manual focus long lens (prolly 400mm) as they are much cheaper and often with motorsport you can get away with pre-focussing on the track before the cars come along

The general rule would always be the more you spend the better the lens although you won't necessarily get better images just because you've shelled out £££

Myles will be along later with even wiser words as he owns more lenses than I own pants

Supercheese R250

Caterham pictures here 😬

Boring bit warning... why does the aperture affect the reveal of sensor dust?

Boring explanation warning...

Having had dust on my sensor (20d) and cleaned it off (nerve racking the first time but now a little less worried), it definitely does. Apparently there's a layer of (presumably) glass in front of the sensor, so it's this that the dust actually sits on. So, as there's some distance between sensor and dust, changing the aperture is enough to change the appearance quite dramatically.

James

Edited by - james xflow on 5 Sep 2007 17:06:28

Boring bit warning... why does the aperture affect the reveal of sensor dust? If the dust is against the sensor then it's on the 'focal plane' of the sensor and focussing/aperture DOF etc aint gonna make any difference. Surely a wide open aperture reduces the chance of lens dust confusing the issue?

Another explanation is that a smaller aperture is more akin to a point light-source and so there is more shadow... That makes more sense to me than DOF explanations.

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Equipe™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Boonie to stop this happening again you can prevent dust ingress along the sliding/rotating zoom with a liberal coating of axle grease. Only to be applied after the washing and airing cupboard.

You can also greatly reduce the chance of dust getting in during lens changing if you carry out this operation in space.

Hope this helps

Windy

Red and Black 1.8K