Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear Toe

Asklepios

Thanks chaps. Does the DD ear usually determine the toe as well as the camber, or is this a fix to "correct" another out of true? If not, then how is the toe normally set.

From your experience is this deviation from spec unusual?

You're measuring 3mm per wheel or 3mm overall? What's your method of measurement?

If my maths is correct 3mm of toe on one side of the car with a 21.5 inch diameter wheel equals 0.64451055 degrees. This is 38 minutes of toe. If the factory spec is 20 minutes then you've twice the recommended toe. Machining the aluminium ear is a way to compensate for another fault. What's the wear of the tyre like.

Felix,

Thanks for your advice.

On 4 wheel laser measuring device,nearside +3.1mm ,o/side 0.1mm. Tyre wear not signif.dif..

Thus if Rob is correct ,the o/side is closer to spec. ,but n/side is toeing out.

I suppose what you are saying is not to get too precious about these small variarions and sj`s observations on the other system errors is well taken.

So my question again,does DD determine toe ?

Yes, the DeDion tube determines the toe. There is no adjustment per se; what you get is what you're stuck with.

Try swapping radius arms from left to right and see if that changes it. I think the length of the radius arms is a major factor in determining toe after the trueness of the DD tube.