Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Roll-over bars... again...

tony pashley

Does anyone who has fitted an FIA+2 know if this leaves room for fitting and removal of a side-intrusion bar (the old Vauxhall race ''arm protector'' thing, not the wheel intrusion bar) without removing the R.O.B. ??

(With a standard FIA, there is not sufficient roon to insert the top bolt in the inertia belt fixing with R.O.B. in place - and a chamfer on the bolt-head looks necessary even then)

Actually, the wheel intrusion bar looks like a good pelvis/hip protector, but I don't think I have the relevant insert in the chassis. Is the fixing like the ''Petty strut'' one but accessed from the outside?? Is my '90 RHD deDion likely to have one already??

T.I.A.

Hi Tony. We can try mine on your car next week. But I think the FIA's bar's forward lean is such that it will need to come off the car to fit the side impact bar.

I suspect most chassis have the petty strut threaded boss on both sides. If you don't have the stainless steel sill protectors you can drill out a few interior panel rivets and check to be sure it's there. The sill protector, if fitted, blocks the view of the boss. I phone call to Arch might get you the answer as well.

I think the side impact bar comes with a rubber bung/cushion so that you don't need to use the petty strut boss if don't want to. Then the side impact bar is just fixed at the inertia reel boss at one end and to the chassis rail under the car at the other end. I used a bolt there because I had already pierced the skin to attach the full cage.

Hi Felix -

I've had the side bar sitting in the back of the garage for ages - I know I can't fit it without removing my standard FIA bar first - it still looks like it'll be very close on the bolt head, but Chris (Ringrose) managed it on his car. I was thinking of going to the +2 bar like you had (my revised seat sits me a little further back and hence more upright), and wondered if I'd then have room to take it off-and-on with the R.O.B. in place. I still like the idea of being able to put the screen and doors back sometime... (although I'd need a new screen, and the door wouldn't open...).

Regarding the threaded insert... I was thinking there of the little diagonal that goes down to the A-frame mount to prevent wheel-intrusion. Not sure how much extraneous ironmongery I want hanging on the car though.

Didn't Nick have your old bar? I guess we can just measure the two next week? It was a bit ambitious to think I could do it all before then anyway -

Stijn's question about your pyrometer reminds me - I was going to pack a camber gauge, but will you be taking yours anyway? I'm running out of space of usual!