Click here if you are having website access problems ×

8 inch rear wheels and rear anti-roll bar drop link problem

zak

Hi,

Just attempting to fit some 8 inch rear 13 inch wheels and I am not fouling the dedion tube (slight mod with angle grinder 😬 ) but I am fouling the drop link from the rear anti-roll bar.

Do I

a) remove the drop link and have no rear anti-roll bar

b) angle grind the hell out of it - had a go but its still fouling and bottled out

c) buy some 5mm wheel spacers (favoured option at the moment)

this is my last day on the insurance *cry* before I have to put it away for a year so REALLY want to get out in it seeing as its finally stopped raining!

edited to check the boxes for responses!

cheers

Edited by - zak on 23 Aug 2007 12:31:28

• Support Team

Or d) put the drop link on the other size of the ARB?

You can reverse the drop link so it sits inside the ARB. You may then need to grind a bit off the ends of the bolts but it should be OK.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

Cheers guys for all the responses.

Thanks Shaun for the 'swap the drop link over to the other side of the ARB arm' idea. I looked at this and I think thats probably the long term solution - however, it will require some bending of the lever arm to move it a tad away from the body of the car or it will gouge the body work on 'enthusiastic' cornering. *cool*

As I was keen to get out in it - I bought the £14 wheel spacers from Halfrauds and they gave me the clearance I needed for run. Actually looks a bit 'Billy bad ass' 😬 only 4 mm each side but its all the gap I needed.

As for the insurance - I would agree that September is a grand month to get out in the car but alas I am starting at Uni, unemployed and already broke before I start! So, no can do. *cry*

By the way - Yoko 48s do tramline a bit... but the grip was loads better than CR500s I thought and 13inch wheels much more nimble than 15s. Just my subjective observation! *wink*

Zak

www.zak7.com

Just a word of caution Zak.

Unless you have changed the wheel studs for longer ones you will be shocked at just how little thread length goes into the wheel nut. The stangard closed end chrome wheel nuts disguise the issue as you cant see just how little thread is used. the standard stud length is 32 mm. You can buy 40mm studs from CC for about £1 each. Interestingly they nologer fit the 32mm studs!!! when I put open nuts on my 32 mm studs I had about 0.9cm stud in the nut

Taking out 4mm by way of a spacer is a very risky strategy in my view!!!

Grant Taylor - OBNS Motorsport

😬 1.6 183 BHP of Black and 'Stone Chip' excitement. 😬

Visit the Golden Jubilee website