Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tall FIA bar for swaps!!

Julian Thompson

You need Martin B to answer this. He has had 2 tall fia bars made by bruce recently. One for his old car (now mine )and one for his new.

I wonder if they are specials rather than off shelf items though. Julian you may have an expensive bespoke tall item rather than a boring shorty one. 😬

Are you out there Martin?

Will

There are two FIA bars - a normal one (which 99%+ people have) and a tall one. (for live-axle cars at least, I don't know about de-dion)

Bar diameters are the same. Tall FIA bar is approx 2" higher on the top edge than the normal one (hence the rear support legs are slightly more vertical, though not really enough to need a different boot cover)

I type this having walked in from the garage where I currently have both variants sitting side-by-side.

X-flow(er) power now resting. Trying Vx for a change.

Julian - Surely you must enjoy being in the 1% club and with a tall fia blackbird must be in the 0.1% club with me.

In all seriousness are you inches and inches below the lateral bar with a helmet on?

I cant see how you can be as I am only nearly 6ft and have a lowered floor as well and with a lid find the tall bar perfect.

If not I would stick with tall and enjoy the extra roll over security hopefully that you will never need obviously.

The only benefit of a normal bar I can see is the full hood and life is too short for one of those.

Will

PS Don;t forget first dibs on your carbon tillets and got any nice wheels in your shed for sale?

I'm well below it (5 ft 9 inch tall) and I shall be even lower when my cunning seat plan comes in to effect *tongue*

Can't see the point of driving round with all that scaffolding dangling around in the breeze so I want to make it lower...

😬 You might be laughing at my anal weight saving tactics and think that my old blackbird looks like a pile of poo but just wait until it weighs 350kg 😬

😬

So, still need that low bar please chaps...

Julian,

it's a possibility, though the std FIA bar that I have ain't in the best of conditions (could do with a re-powder coating session).

Could call me at work tomorrow (Fri) on 01978 222224.

Edited by - DaveMorris on 23 Aug 2007 22:46:22

Julian

I presume the bar you are talking about is the one on my old car?, as far as I'm aware it is a standard height FIA bar, tall ones look really tall and odd and I don't remember fitting one of those to the car, it might be worth getting someone to measure the vertical height before changing it 😬

Graham

Looking for a new vocation in life or is that a vacation

• Area Representative

yep - the bar the car had on from me was a standard one. Maybe forget the lowered floor option 😬

Cheers

Nick

The BEC has gone - now onto an R400!!

Just checked with Julian and the bar on the noddy car is 2" lower than the ""Tall" FIA Bar that I have laying on the floor in the garage.

Julains FIA bar has same measurements as my "Tall" bar.

So . .. .. .... ..... if Julians is a standard bar then :-

a/. Caterham also make a LOW FIA Bar *confused*, and

b/. The guy who sold me the Tall FIA bar will be upset when he buys a standard one and finds it's the same height *eek*,

or

c/. Julians was a standard bar and someone swapped it to the Tall type one night without him knowing *mad*

And now, more seriously - we're both reasonably sure that Julian has a Tall FIA bar fitted to the blackbird at present, and we're willing to take the risk of swapping them over (though Nick might have to act as temporary staging point in the swap).

• Area Representative

Hmmm! That has surprised me but if you have checked the dimensions, it must be right. Dave are you coming over then on Sunday? We will be taking out both Caterhams this time (and its been a while since trish drove her car that I don't fancy asking her to take the tin top 😬) but I am sure we could ask Mr Price to stick it in his boot....

Cheers

Nick

The BEC has gone - now onto an R400!!

Nick, Dave!

Thanks for your efforts, I don't want to burden you with this at weekend - I can get my chum Pat to pop over to Dave's work at lunchtime - remember Dave, I've still got to get the new tall bar to you so Pat is the best plan.

Have a fantastic weekend and enjoy yourselves - I'm very jealous as I shall be working.... 😔

Can't wait to get my new low bar, though - might paint the bar orange - and then when I get my RiF carbon bodywork that might go orange too.... *smile*

Nick,

I am coming over in the Caterham. Might see if I can strap one FIA bar onto another one on the Vx - though I doubt that it can be done easily without risking damage to powdercoat or paint on the Vx.

Will probably go with Julians idea.

Just to confirm, there is a tall FIA bar and a standard one. My car has the standard (old style) FIA bar while another 7 owner over here has the tall one. In fact I seem to remember my manual mentioning that option. The hood will fit over the standard FIA bar, but will not fit over the tall one, so it's definitely the case that the tall is the special one.

---

Kristoffer Lawson